Another Noob from PA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vespa

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have lurked your forums for a few weeks and found this to be a great community with excellent advice. I am starting my first batch tomorrow, I am very excited. I love beers of all characteristics, but my first batch will be a simple lager, Pennsylvanians can guess which one; followed by a Pumpkin Ale hopefully in time for Thanksgiving. (I am attempting to brew what my wife likes to keep her interested in my new hobby as well ;) )

Thanks for all of the advice I've read so far and I look forward to reading more.

Lager for your first brew?

You are an an eager brewer to say the least, at least you have the temps required.

For a lager, pitch a ton!

Make sure you perform a diacetyl rest for a day at about 70°f, once fermentation is complete, then lager that bad boy afterwards for a minimum of a 2 weeks, the longer the better.

IMO, and take into consideration I haven't brewed a true lager yet, the closest has been a Kolsch. Regardless, lagers are a bit more work due to the yeast count required, and the temperatures to lager. FWIW, a good ale might bet he better way to go, but a Pumpkin will require some aging, 4-6 mos IMHO.

If you are looking for a quick turn-around on your first brew, brew a very lightly hopped ale of some sort, perhaps an amber on the low end of the IBU scale, or a pale ale of some sort.

Stouts are awesome for a first brew, hard to completely fudge, and the style is fairly easy to brew which will produce a drinkable beer that will familiarize you with the process first hand, rather than reading a ton of info and trying to apply it on your first attempt.

Good luck! BTW, are you brewing AG or Extract?

Welcome and good luck on your first brewday today.

I agree with Schnitzengiggle. You're a brave man going for a lager the first time out.

You're real close to Keystone Homebrew in Montgomerville. Great people, well stocked.

Thanks everyone, I'm from Skippack, pa just 25 miles north of Philly. Brewing today was a load of fun. I have to admit I stared for minutes (ok hours) waiting for each airlock bubble. As AnOLDUr mentioned, I am close to Keystone and got my supplies there. They were great there. Brewing really seems to be a 'practice makes perfect' art. It reminds me of golf, easy to learn, difficult to perfect. After your post on a Diacetyl rest Schnitzengiggle I wish I had waited a day before diving head first in. With the colder months coming, this won't be my last lager, so no harm done! Thanks everyone and cheers!

OK re-reading your post, the diacetyl rest takes place AFTER fermentation. For some reason I read it as prior to pitching. Good, I can still do that. I did not make a starter, I just activated the smack pack 4 hours in advance. I'm guessing fermentation will just take longer? The Palmer book suggests racking to a secondary after fermentation to get the beer off the trub. Forum responses seem mixed on this. If I go this way, should it be before or after the rest - or just skip it! Logistically speaking, racking to secondary is attractive to me as it frees the pipeline for the next batch!

OK re-reading your post, the diacetyl rest takes place AFTER fermentation. For some reason I read it as prior to pitching. Good, I can still do that. I did not make a starter, I just activated the smack pack 4 hours in advance. I'm guessing fermentation will just take longer? The Palmer book suggests racking to a secondary after fermentation to get the beer off the trub. Forum responses seem mixed on this. If I go this way, should it be before or after the rest - or just skip it! Logistically speaking, racking to secondary is attractive to me as it frees the pipeline for the next batch!

I just did my first lager ands I asked a million questions... The D rest is mandatory I did it after the beer reached 1020 I want it around 1014-1016 so by the time I did a rest my beer had the right FG.. no need for you to rack off unless your at warmer fermentation temps .. I would suggest doing a starter, it's faster and from what I've read lagers need lots of yeast!!!

HB on IPhone

Hey Vespa, welcome to HBT! Although I'm up here in State College, PA; my mother is from Skippack. Been there many times. When I visit the area, I mention that my mother, prior to marrying, was a Scattergood; of the Skippack Scattergoods. That always gets a strange look from people. :confused:

Latest posts

Back