Another newbie question about cooling temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratoblastor

Reaction score
I've created my first batch of porter. In spite of all my errors along the way, it came out pretty tasty. Yesterday I brewed my second batch, a Belgian porter. The first recipe suggested to rapid cool the brewed wort kettle to a temp of 100 degrees F. Then pour it into the primary and add cold water to bring it down to 78F. At that temp pitch the yeast.

The Belgian recipe said to cool the wort kettle to 70 degrees F, pour into the primary and add the yeast. The first was dry powder safale yeast. The second was Wyeast liquid Trappist. I could not bring the kettle temp lower then 78 degrees after an hour, so I added 1 gallon cold bottled water to drop it to 72. Ambient temp in my house is 72.

Why the discrepancies in temps? Is it the recipes or just different ways of achieving the same results?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I've created my first batch of porter. In spite of all my errors along the way, it came out pretty tasty. Yesterday I brewed my second batch, a Belgian porter. The first recipe suggested to rapid cool the brewed wort kettle to a temp of 100 degrees F. Then pour it into the primary and add cold water to bring it down to 78F. At that temp pitch the yeast.

The Belgian recipe said to cool the wort kettle to 70 degrees F, pour into the primary and add the yeast. The first was dry powder safale yeast. The second was Wyeast liquid Trappist. I could not bring the kettle temp lower then 78 degrees after an hour, so I added 1 gallon cold bottled water to drop it to 72. Ambient temp in my house is 72.

Why the discrepancies in temps? Is it the recipes or just different ways of achieving the same results?

Every yeast has its own optimal temp range, and can produce very different flavors depending on the actual temp. Fermentation generates heat so your beer is likely warmer than 72F.

If this is your yeast it looks like you want to keep it under 78F:
http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=65

It sounds like different directions in kits. I like to look at the yeast manufacturer's website for the temp range on the yeast. I try to cool the wort to a few degrees below the low end of the range and then let the temperature raise into the optimal range.

Although the Belgian recipe did not call for added fresh water as part of the cooling process, I found it extremely helpful.

I just checked and the thermometer on the primary says 76 F. Granted that is external of the fermenter as I'm not going to open it just to check. But how much in the inside temp?

Unfortunately, I've been tipsy enough not to care and added yeast up to 85. I don't recommend it , but, beer turned out great. Yeast are tough and hard to kill.

But, I like to pitch at 70.

Unless I missed something, it simply sounds like the directions are for different methods of the brewing process:

The first sounds like partial boil with a chilled top off; perfectly acceptable method and an excellent way to do it for beginners because you can get to pitch temps quicker. Especially if you do not have a chiller yet.

The second (Belgian porter I think?)
Sounds like a full boil recipe instructions where you have no need for a top off of chilled water.

Both directions sound good though, they differ only slightly in the steps to get to the end product.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back