Another New England Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motleybrew

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I've been playing with brewing for over a year now, but am finally getting settled in it. I have to work on a tight budget and space limitations, so it is a frustrating hobby at times.

Welcome aboard from Plymouth, Mass. Have you considered smaller size batches and/or brew in a bag. The more you look around the more you'll realize you can get started for very cheap...almost free depending on what you have in your house.

Also, check out craigslist. I will be selling a 5 gallon pot, spigot and cooler with the conversion kit in the future as I am sticking with BIAB...message me if your interested, I can get it to you for face value but it won't be too cheap for it all.

I already have a 5 gallon pot, two 5 gallon buckets that I have made one into a mash tun, and the other is my fermenter. I have most of the odds and ends stuff like a bottle capper, racking cane, brew bags and such.

My newest goal is to convert my pot to an electric kettle. I know it's small, but if anything, it's practice, and I can use it as a HLT or something else in the future.

Welcome from Middleborough. Happy to see new brewers in MA. I brewed many batches on the stovetop. You can slowly add to your setup over time. The scrap yard is a good place to start. Yard sales, craigslist, trash day. Somehow you acquire the stuff over time. Good Luck!! You can also fit a descent size system into a small space. Got an extra closet?

Motley, I'm in the same boat, I don't have a ton of space to keep my brewing supplies so I work off 2 5 Gallon BKs, a propane burner, and 2 plastic fermenters. I typically do 3.5-4.25 gallon BIABs, though I've been mostly doing extracts lately because of time limitations. None the less though, I make fairly decent beer.

Seriously, come join the fun at Masstoberfest (in Stoughton) on Saturday. PM me if you need a link to the thread... It's in the Mass brewers gathering part of the forum.

I shouldn't need bottles. I have a case of emptys and a few six packs as well.

I'm in the Hartford, CT area, so the masstoberfest is a bit of a drive, but I might see if I can spare the time this weekend. I'll pm you for details.

Actually, I haven't done any extract brewing. My first beer was AG (2 row and amber malt). At this point, since I have most of the equipment, I'll just stick to AG, I think.

Back