Another new boy on the home brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nivaguk

Reaction score
Evening all,

I was kindly gifted a coopers micro kit for Christmas (my first go at making home brew ever) and i am now ready to make a start on it.

I have had a look through some of the forums and understand little parts of what people are saying.

The kit comes with a 1.7kg lager tin. 1kg brew enhancer 1 and a bag of carbination drops.

From what i have read i might has well bin the instructions that came with it and go with my gut feeling but.

I am right in thinking i can replace the brew enhancer with LME?

Also do i need to add any hops to it?

Thanks all

hi i am quite new to home brewing as well, this was my first kit and i used the brew enhancer, the beer is still bottling but from what i have tasted it is slightly watery, using lme or dme would definitely improve the beer, also the yeast is not a true lager yeast but an ale/lager yeast, i fermented it at 18c and it turned out fine however i didnt know what skunking was and so it had contact with direct sunlight for a while, but ya learn as you go, i hope yours turns out well.

good luck.

My guess is the tin is already prehopped, but it should tell you that on there.

Cheers rob i heard that the yeast was lager/ale yeast.

Skunking????

First time i have heard that.

Light is bad for the beer. Sunlight reacts with the hops and breaks them down to compounds that are actually similar to skunk musk and it can smell pretty bad.

I see, well i am certainly glad you told me that.

How long would you recommend for fermentation for the coopers??

yep, bad thing is i never smelled a skunk before so i dont know what to be looking out for :eek:

yep, bad thing is i never smelled a skunk before so i dont know what to be looking out for :eek:

Never passed one that's been hit on the road? It's quite rancid, if your beer is skunked, you will know it.

i live in ireland, no skunks, i am kinda guessing its like sulfur/eggy smell

Latest posts

Back