Another IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanian

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm (hopefully) brewing up an English IPA in the next few days. I've made up the following recipe and I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice. Here is the recipe:

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 23.00 l
OG: 1.061
IBU: 56.1
Colour: 10
Est ABV: 5.9%
Mash in: 156f

5.29 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (3.0 SRM) Grain 83.0 %
0.38 kg Aromatic Malt (Dingemans) (19.0 SRM) Grain 6.0 %
0.38 kg Biscuit (Dingemans) (22.5 SRM) Grain 6.0 %
0.32 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (51.0 SRM) Grain 5.0 %
80.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 40.8 IBUs
28.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 11.0 IBUs
42.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 4.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg Thames Valley Ale (Wyeast Labs #1275) [124.21 ml] Yeast
28.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Dry Hop

I don't mind it being a strong and relatively robust beer (although comments accepted on that too!) but I'm a little worried about the hop profile - I don't want it to kick like an American IPA but I still want to bring out the hop flavors. Also, mash temperature?
Thanks in advance!
:mug:

With 17% specialty/crystal malts, that's going to be one malty IPA. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it will be malty. If you stick with this grain bill, I'd recommend mashing at 148-151.

Hops look fine. Perhaps consider moving your planned 5 minute addition to the cooling phase at 140-150 (if you use an ice bath or immersion chiller) or stir them in at flameout and whirlpool a few minutes. With the latter you'll eek out a few IBU's. Both will provide good aroma.

My 5gal EIPA is 90/5/5 Maris/Special Roast/Crystal 60L. I mash it 75 minutes at 152 with a mash-out of 168 during re-circulation. Mine is all EKG too and around 60 IBU's. Dry-hopped 10 days with 3 oz EKG. It's won a few medals over the years.

Depending on your starting point with water, definitely consider adding some gypsum to the mash water and boil. Give that IPA some sulphate love!

Thanks so much! All the stuff you have said, I have been considering anyway, so I'll definitely make some adjustments. I'll let you know how it goes and update the recipe!
Happy brewing
:mug:

A bit of a late reply but I just wanted to report that you were right from the get go. The beer ended up having a strong caramel flavour that dominated the beer (even with the adjustments). I made another recently and it was much better.

No worries. It probably still tasted like beer. Take your lumps and move on. I'm 400+ batches & 20 yrs in to this "hobby" and still learning every day and every batch...

Back