Another GF newbie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Daniels

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have another question for the board.

Is any of my brewing equipment from pre-GF days safe to use? I am diagnosed and pretty sensitive right now...

More specifically I'm most concerned w/ using old bottles? I have a bunch laying around that at one time or another help non-GF beer in them. Just curious if I run them through the dishwasher a couple times will they be safe for me to use?

Also regarding that note, I have a cannonball keg that I used pre-GF days as well and would like to salvage that if possible. Is this possible? Or should I pass off to another fellow homebrewer?

Thanks all for helping me navigate homebrewing GF!

My understanding is that anything hard (metal, glass) is fine to clean well and re use, but anything soft (wood, silicone, plastic) needs to be replaced, because you can't get everything out. I've also seen suggestions that plastic only needs to be replaced if it's scratched, but I'd personally replace any hoses and buckets for brewing since that stuff is relatively cheap.

+1. Some people say you can't use your mill, but if you really do a thorough cleaning, I think it would be fine.

My understanding is that anything hard (metal, glass) is fine to clean well and re use, but anything soft (wood, silicone, plastic) needs to be replaced, because you can't get everything out. I've also seen suggestions that plastic only needs to be replaced if it's scratched, but I'd personally replace any hoses and buckets for brewing since that stuff is relatively cheap.
Thanks KeinGluten. I went ahead and replaced all plastic brewing related equipment I have. Glad the expensive stuff is salvageable though... Do you know anything about using kettles for GF beers that previously had brewed non-GF beers? Most stuff that I've seen online about info on general celiac kitchenware says stainless steel should be fine...

+1. Some people say you can't use your mill, but if you really do a thorough cleaning, I think it would be fine.
I put a mill in the same category as a fresh pasta maker... too risky with all the small pieces and nooks and crannies to be truly thoroughly de-glutened enough for my liking... to me I think I would rather replace even though it's a bit expensive... luckily I hadn't owned one in my non-gf days. I would just go to my LHBS and mill there... but when i finally get around to brewing I'm going to buy one...

Back