Another first timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormcrow

Reaction score
My wife has been wanting to make a cider with me. We won't be able to get fresh orchard stuff for a couple of weeks, so I had her get the jugs of cheap pasteurized only apple juice and some Nottingham yeast. I'm going to boil a couple spoonfuls of my last beer's yeast cake to add for nutrients.

Should that be it for the first one? Or is there something simple we could add to take this to the next level? She's already looking at adding cinnamon and nutmeg at some point. (Been lurking on HBT at my recommendation. I told her she needs to get an account and watch her life change forever. ) ;)

Depends on what you like? Sweeter English ciders? Dry German apfelwein? Still? sparkling? back sweetened? , etc...

I have really good luck making a dry german apfelwein using the Ed Wort recipe here on HBT...

Uses store bought juice, some added sugar to raise ABV, and a white wine yeast... I use Montrachet (now premier classique),
brown sugar, and what ever store bought juice is on sale... 5 gallons at time.... bottle with priming sugar for a sparkling dry cider...
Always have a batch going...

But you'll find other recipes here using ale yeasts, FAJC (frozen apple juice concentrate), nutrients, etc.... stabilized & back sweetened, left still, etc.

find a recipe that looks interesting and go for it!

My suggestion is first, read Yooper's sticky at the top of the page, then check how the juice is pasteurised and make sure that it doesn't contain anything that will kill the yeast.

Then, it will be worthwhile making a straight batch, no sugar, just juice and yeast (perhaps with some nutrient added). The result will be dry and possibly not what you expect but at least you will have a baseline to work from regarding extra sugar, additives etc.

Use the search function at the top of the page to get into a wealth of information and opinions on all sorts of stuff.

Have fun. Good luck!

My suggestion is first, read Yooper's sticky at the top of the page, then check how the juice is pasteurised and make sure that it doesn't contain anything that will kill the yeast.

Then, it will be worthwhile making a straight batch, no sugar, just juice and yeast (perhaps with some nutrient added). The result will be dry and possibly not what you expect but at least you will have a baseline to work from regarding extra sugar, additives etc.

Use the search function at the top of the page to get into a wealth of information and opinions on all sorts of stuff.

Have fun. Good luck!

This is great advice.

In general cheap juice will give you a rather bland cider. The way I deal with that is to add about 1.5 pounds of flavorful apples per gallon to the must once primary fermentation is done.
In my last three gallon batch I added 1.5 lbs of granny smith, 1 lb pink lady, 1 lb honeycrisp, .5 lb envy, and .5 lb of ambrosia.

Back