Another brewpub question. Worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcampo

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a member of a private club house; a cultural, member only club house in California. Its basically a hall in which they host a few events throughout the year.

The current president asked if it possible for me to brew beer for them on occasion for their member only bar, and a hand full of festivals for the year.

They currently, and have had for years, a liquor license, and I assume some kind of food license, since they have a huge kitchen and serve food at this event.

After some research, It seems that selling home brew their would be somewhat difficult and I don't if its worth it. Correct me if im wrong, but it seems I, or the establishment, needs to get a small brewpub license, and that there would have to be an established area for brewing (another then there huge kitchen)?

Do any of you see this as an easy task, since they already have a liquor and food license, and I only have to brew on occasion? Maybe I should I just donate the beer to them?

Check your state laws, as they vary from state to state. But in general, you can serve it for free. You (and the club as a whole) can't sell it. It's a grey area if you try and work it out for them to pay for ingredients. technically not illegal, and you probably wouldn't have an issue if you keep it on the DL...

There CAN be issues with serving at events, and this is going to depend on state and local law. Some places require a servers license. Sometimes you need a permit for the event. HOWEVER... if it is truly a private event, not public, you shouldn't have any problems serving (not selling).

You can't get prosecuted for donating beer. Unless you donate it to someone under the legal drinking age.

I'd donate it and let them decide what they want to do with it.

I dunno, ^that^ seems like it could go all pear shaped if Yooper's point isn't fully understood. If the establishment has a license, they could in fact be exposed to a violation for allowing non-controlled beverages to be served.

I'd do the legwork to find out what the legal options actually are.
It could end up simple, or it could be a royal pita...

Cheers!

Thanks everyone. I emailed the a couple gov agencies, one being CA ABC and hopefully they will get back soon

In ohio if the establishment has a liquor license it is illegal for your homebrew to even be on the property ( told to me by Ohio state liquor control) they can lose their liquor license. I have been asked by a couple of local bars to allow them to serve some of my brews and it is just not worth it for them. i wish I had the money to set up a small brewery on the scale I have now and be able to set up a tap at a few local bars.

Another issue that could come up, even if serving it for free is legal, is the federal limit on how much beer you can brew per household per year. 100 gallons for you, or 200 gallons for your household per year could disappear fast with a large group of people drinking it at one or several events.

Meh, the federal "limit per year" isn't really worth much - I mean, it's not like the feds are stopping by every week to make sure you haven't gone over yet. You can violate the laws up and down all day in private and get away with it - but trying to sell, especially through a licensed establishment, is a stickier business since these are areas that are - unlike your kitchen - going to see nontrivial regulation and oversight. Unlike a house or apartment, a licensed premises is probably going to see some sort of regular inspection to make sure they're in compliance.

Back