Another bottle bomb question. Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanddr

Reaction score
I'm brewing a honey wheat that has been fermenting 17 days. It was never an aggressive fermentation and bubbling slowed to under a minute this past weekend.
Due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to bottle tonight and I'm a bit worried about bottle bombs. I'll give pertinent data and you give me your thoughts.
OG: 1.046
Gravity taken 6 days ago(day 11): 1.018
Gravity taken just before bottling (day 17) 1.014
Pitched with White Labs WLP320 which has an attenuation rate of 70-75%. At these gravity readings I'm at 70% attenuation rate.
Bottled in 22oz bottles with about 2 fingers headspace.
It was a 5 gallon batch with 5oz of priming sugar.
Midwest Boundary Waters Wheat Kit estimated gravity readings are below but I also added 1/4lb of honey malt during steeping so that is why my OG might be 2 points higher.
SG: 1.040-1.044
FG: 1.009-1.013

This is my first wheat and 3rd batch in all. Am I at risk for some bombs? I wish I could have given it some more time with more gravity readings so I could know it's done but I cant.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. 17 days should be plenty for a wheat beer. I've bottled with shorter fermentations than that for wheat beers, with no problems. The real question is, what size was your batch, and how much priming sugar did you use?

I forgot to mention, it was a 5 gallon batch with 5oz of priming sugar.

1/4lb of Honey malt. It was a Midwest Boundary Waters wheat which contains 6 lb. Wheat liquid malt extract, 1/2 lb. Caravienne, 1/2 lb. Carapils, 1 oz. Sterling hops, 1 oz. Palisade aroma hops.

I added the honey malt to the grain steeping.

Anybody else think I'll be okay or should I be ducking for cover in a week? :D

You can always monitor the bottle carbing by opening a bottle after 1 week, after 2 weeks, etc. If the beers keep getting more carbonated, you may have a problem. I recently had a porter that continued to get carbonated in the bottle (even after fermenting for 28 days). I opened my remaining bottles, let them foam over for a few minutes and then re-capped. Seems to have solved the problem - so far.

Thats a good idea. I did bottle 6ea 12oz bottles for monitoring and taste testing so I'll pop one a week for the next 3 weeks or so. That way at least I'm not wasting 22oz if it's not ready yet. Thanks.

Back