another bad brew day thread...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seigex

Reaction score
I'll just list what went wrong:

1. broke hydrometer... no og reading
2. broke 6.5 gallon glass carboy..
3. spilled flaked oats
4. forgot to pick up extra airlock since one was on my apfelwein fermenter
5. when i put my emersion chiller in the wort, it sat on my hop bag holding it to the bottom of the kettle, causing a "burnt hop" flavor in the wort.
6. burned my hand
7. bought a new water filtration system but it leaks bad
8. Fermenter airlock setup i had didn't work on the two plastic carboys i am now using to ferment so i'm stuck using foil
9. I had a stuck sparge that took me about 20 minutes to fix and hurt like hell trying.

i'm sure there's more... oh well that means next time will be better i guess :)

Yep, that kind of brew day happens to everyone. If you learned from all of those mistakes than the next brew day will be much easier. Look on the bright side, it can only get better.

The only bad brewday is one that does not produce beer.
In a couple of months you'll be sipping a HB and laughing at the memories.
:mug:

Well thanks for the comments.. trust me I've had many a bad brew day, but this one was the worst.. .. you don't even want to know the story on how i broke my hydrometer... and what i had to do to fix the stuck sparge...

Since the wifey don't care much about brewing beer, I needed to b!tch to the choir of people who understand what I went through....

All I have to say though is its fermenting away nicely.. and I saved a sample of the preboil wort that is sitting in my fridge so I can take an OG when I get my new hydrometer monday.

And it already smells like beer coming out of the airlocks after 24 hours so I guess it couldn't be that bad...

All I know is 3 weeks from now I'll have a nice keg of apfelwein and a nice keg of an oatmeal stout (sans glass particles) ready to drink...

arturo, the problem was I had no beers along the way...

Makeyermark, Actually i was going for broken glass oatmeal stout, you'd have to know the whole story about the hydrometer to understand, along with the broken carboy i think it makes sense :)

Latest posts

Back