An IIPA iidea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernlad

Reaction score
I do like me a big hoppy beer from time to time and I thought I would try the recipe below for my first go using Beer Calculus for the math.
I am currently limited to about 12lbs for the mash so will use the DME to boost the OG. I have found I like a solid but not overpowering bitterness and a lot of flavor and aroma from the hops.
Please let me know what you think.

My system usually nets me 70% efficiency
Target OG 1.078

5.5 lb American Two-row Pale
5.55lb British Pale (Maris Otter)
1lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
2lb Light Dry Extract

60 mins 1.0 Warrior
15 mins 0.5 Citra
15 mins 0.5 Centennial
1 min 0.5 Centennial
1 min 0.5 Cascade
dry hop 7 days 1.0 Citra
dry hop 7 days 1.0 Cascade

1L starter 1056

Looks solid to me, Warrior is a very smooth hop, good choice. I would up the 0 min and dry hops to give it a really big hop nose. I also like my IIPAs a bit dry, so I would swap out a bit of the DME (~.75-1 lbs) for sugar (cane/corn/candi etc...). Good luck.

I do love me some Warrior. I was also wondering if a 1L starter would be enough.

Warrior is my favorite bittering hop.
I'm not sure about the citra, but the other hops work well together.
I personally like the cascade with simcoe, but that's my opinion.
+1 to swapping out a # of the dme for corn sugar.
Let us know how it turns out
Keep brewing
Bull

I did an IIPA from 1.094 to 1.018 with two packets of us-05 no problem so your starter should be great. I would also up the late addition hops to really bang out the hop flavor. Cascade and cent together is an awesome combo but don't be afraid to throw in some simcoe or Amarillo to helpout the complexity. The IIPA is all about the hops but if you want a good malt balance Victory malt always helps. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I have plenty of Cascade, but only 1oz of Centennial. I also have Willamette and Northern Brewer, but I am not sure if either of those is what I want with this beer. On second thought, I might double the late Citra @15 and add .5oz Willamette at flameout. I love Citra @ 15.
1# Corn Sugar it is. I don't think I will get to it this weekend. Somehow I can't get the missus on board with a batch on Mother's Day.

I'd definitely bump the warrior to at least 1.5 oz.

I use 1 oz in my basic IPA and it's barely enough bittering. With an OG of 1.078, you should target at least 75-80 IBUs in my opinion.

I love warrior as a bittering hop for IPAs as well! :mug:

I left it at 1oz because Beer Calculus had me at 78 IBU. I just bumped it to 1.5 and it indicates 107 IBU. I don't know how the rest of you feel about that program but it has yielded me excellent results so far.

I left it at 1oz because Beer Calculus had me at 78 IBU. I just bumped it to 1.5 and it indicates 107 IBU. I don't know how the rest of you feel about that program but it has yielded me excellent results so far.

I forgot to mention that I have had some IPA's judged that were ~1.060 and had 1 oz of warrior for bittering and all got dinged for not enough bitterness (I used beer calculus too and had it plugged in at ~60 IBUs for my recipe).

Maybe the AA% on my warrior was a little low?

regardless, looks like a solid recipe, and good on you for wanting to get your BU:GU ~1 or so :mug:

I happened upon 16.9% Warrior. It delivers the bitter.
Thanks for the heads up though. It aint the last beer I am going to brew so I'll kick it up if I have the same experience you did.

IBUs are odd. "Smoother" hops like Warrior and Magnum will always taste less bitter than they are. I tend to use Columbus (CTZ) for bittering IPAs because it has some roughness which makes it seem higher in IBUs. A touch of Chinook can have the same effect if you want to use Warrior.

I'll hit it with an extra pinch just for you AZ

Regarding Simcoe, what commercial beer uses it so I can see what all the fuss is about?

I'll hit it with an extra pinch just for you AZ

Regarding Simcoe, what commercial beer uses it so I can see what all the fuss is about?

Not sure which commercial beer its in but equal parts of it and cascade mixed and added for the last 20 minutes @20,15,10,5,0 will really give you an awesome flavor. I also dry hop with an ounce of each for nose. Yummy.

I've got an IPA that I bittered with warrior and then followed the above hop schedule and it came out great. 97.7 IBU and still nicely balanced.:mug:

Bull

THanks Bull.
I am drinking my first ever Ninkasi, the Tricerahops DIPA. Sweet mother of christ, why did no one tell me? Are all their beers this good?

In the immortal words of Donnie Brasco "Is that a pinch or a punch?"

Halfway through the mash right now. Bumped the Warrior to 1.25. Be back in a couple months...

Did u end up using citra? I made a smash apa with it smelled n tasted great! i loved it, but my wife swore cat pee smell and taste were evident?

Did u end up using citra? I made a smash apa with it smelled n tasted great! i loved it, but my wife swore cat pee smell and taste were evident?

Of all the things I wouldn't like my beer associated with it would be that!!!

I think I'll use the citra very carefully.

Bull

Citra is not optional in my house. I have used it in a SMaSH and in two batches of my IPA and I love it for flavor. The only thing I was on the fence about was the Warrior amount but AZ set me straight. I came a little short on OG, but it tasted awesome.
I get more tropical fruit than cat pee.

Latest posts

Back