An easy 2.3 gallon (LBK-size) Munich faux-lager using Nottingham

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigFloyd

Reaction score
Earlier this year, I was at the nearest LHBS and saw a 3.3lb can of Briess Munich extract for $10. I figured I'd get it and try to work up a 2.3 gallon batch of pseudo-Dunkel with it using some of the leftover specialty grains I had, a packet of Nottingham that was in the fridge, and then stick it in the Mr. Beer LBK I had on the shelf.

I brewed this on 01-12-13 and am drinking it currently. I'm so darn pleased with it that I'm working up a 5-gallon AG version and would like to have it frequently on tap as my "dark" house variety.

Here's the LBK-size (2.3 gallon) original extract recipe.

1- 3.3 lbs can of Briess Munich LME (which is 50% pale 2-row, 50% Munich malt)
.5 lb Brit medium (60L) crystal-35 min steep @155*F
.25 lb Brit Chocolate-35 steep
.2 ounces Black Patent-35 steep (you can omit this, I just happen to have some on hand)
.67 oz Perle 45 min
.33 oz Perle 15 min
Irish Moss 15 min (Whirlfloc at 10 min would work too)
OG 1.050
Pitched at 64F with 11g packet rehydrated Nottingham and placed in fermenter
Ferment started at 55*F for 6 days, then slowly raised 1-1.5*per day to 64F,
last 2 days at 70F for D-rest, batch primed and bottled
FG on 2-1-13 (20 days), 1.014, ABV= 4.8%, 2.3 gallons

To get the same result, you'll need the type of precise, adjustable temp control that you get with a freezer/fridge and temp controller. I use an STC-1000. The Nottingham ferments quite actively at 55*F and gives a really nice, clean, lager-like result.

This tastes surprisingly like a good dark German lager. Smooth and crisp with just the right amount of subtle roasty finish. Everyone I've shared a bottle with is asking when I'm going to do this one again.

Latest posts

Back