An Almost Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLR1987

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm quite new to the homebrewing scene, but I have been reading up on it for quite some time. These forums are so awesome! Any who, I found the morebeer recipe for the extract version of Pliny and tweaked it a little based on my LHBS's availability of ingredients. I used American Ale II instead of California Ale yeast, and substituted Warrior instead of Magnum hops. Unfortunately, my OG was a few points shy of the 1.070 they called for, but I'm not worried about it. Anyway, what do you guys/ladies think?

9 lbs Light Malt Extract (90 min)
.5 lb Light DME (90 min)
6 oz Crystal 40L (Steeped at 160F for 30 min)
8 oz Maltodextrin (15 min)
1 lb Corn Sugar (10 min)
1 Whirlfloc Tablet (10 min)

2 oz Cascade (Whole & FWH)
2 oz Warrior (90 min)
1 oz Simcoe (45 min)
1 oz Columbus (30 min)
2 oz Centennial (flameout)
1 oz Simcoe (flameout)
3 oz Columbus (Dry Hopped for 5 days)
1 oz Centennial (Dry Hopped for 5 days)
1 oz Simcoe (Dry Hopped for 5 days)

You pitched this without a starter?! Shy of 1.07 seems like a double, and a packet of us-05 came up short for me. Honestly I'd think you'd be higher with all the fermentables

And do the corn sugar & maltodextrin additions cancel each other out?

Thanks

Yeah it was 1.066 so not quite. Yeah no starter :/ malto-dextrine doesn't ferment, it just adds body. Corn sugar is fermentable though :) my last gravity reading was around 1.018.

Back