Amount of specialty grains in APA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trapae

Reaction score
This weekend I am brewing an APA and wanted to use this grain bill

10 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)

I have never used Victory before and am going light on the Crystal, so the specialty % is only about 9%. I have read that you can use up to 30% specialty malts, but have seen other recipes that are heavy on the base malt. (I had goose island IPA and I think it is 100% 2row). I guess my question is, will this malt bill be too bland/boring and should I up the specialties? Don't want it to taste like hoppy water.
Thanks in advance.
T

It looks great, as long as you don't forget to add hops and yeast ;-)
I personally would add 8 oz or so of Munich Malt. Just my preference.

Hops:

0.6 oz Magnum [14.0%] - Boil 60 min Hops 4
1 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15 min) Misc 5
0.5 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 12 min Hops 6
0.5 oz Cascade [5.5%] - Boil 12 min Hops 7
0.5 oz Cascade [5.5%] - Boil 0 min Hops 8
0.5 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 0 min Hops 9
Dry hop with both cascade and columbus

I wanted to try wyeast 1272, but may have to use 1056 or WLP001 or 002. Was going to mash at 154 or 60 min. Just got a conical and can't wait to get something in there doing God's work.

Looks good to me, APA should really focus on the hops, so going easy on the specialty is just fine. I also think APAs should be drank fairly young, so 1272 would be a better strain, it flocculates a lot faster than Chico.

If you're going to mash low for a thin beer you might want to bump up the victory to 12oz. Just to give it a little more bready backbone to support the hops. You'll never know until you brew it though. Let us know.

I'm with the rest of the crowd, looks fine to me. With either the 1272 or the 1056/WL001 you probably can't go wrong. I say try it as is with the 154 mash temp.

Thanks everyone, I will post results when it is tricking down my throat.

You should be fine, victory has a pretty strong flavor so you real don't need much. I've been leaning to the mostly base malt side of things though.

So I am brewing this weekend, but just realized I have Simcoe in the fridge. I have never brewed with simcoe. Supposed to be piney? Does anyone have a good place in the recipe to add an oz, or will it clash with columbus and cascade?

10 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)

0.6 oz Magnum [14.0%] - Boil 60 min Hops 4
1 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15 min) Misc 5
0.5 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 12 min Hops 6
0.5 oz Cascade [5.5%] - Boil 12 min Hops 7
0.5 oz Cascade [5.5%] - Boil 0 min Hops 8
0.5 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 0 min Hops 9
Dry hop with both cascade and columbus

Yeast 1056 or 1272

Thanks

Yep, citrus and pine - it will go great with cascade and columbus. I'd put some in at flameout and dryhop.

Latest posts

Back