Amicable American "Altbier" Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filthyastronaut

Reaction score
This is a bit of a kitchen sink brew I'm doing today for the fall. I have all these American malts and figured an inauthentic American spin on the style might be interesting, while still staying true to style guidelines. Blending the yeasts is due to not making a starter ahead of time and to reinforce the "American" motif. What do y'all think?

Title: Amicable Altbier

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Altbier
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 2.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.033
Efficiency: 80% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 4.63%
IBU (tinseth): 43.53
SRM (morey): 15.18

FERMENTABLES:
2 lb - American - Pilsner (46.4%)
2 lb - American - Ashbourne Mild (46.4%)
1 oz - American - Midnight Wheat Malt (1.4%)
4 oz - Special Z (Homemade Dark Crystal) (5.8%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Perle, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.2, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 36.3
0.5 oz - Perle, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.2, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 7.24

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 152 F

YEAST:
White Labs - Dusseldorf Alt Yeast WLP036
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (custom): 75%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 65 - 72 F
Additional Yeast: Pacman

I sure like the idea ~ carry on, I say! :mug:

My own instinct would be to back the IBUs off a bit but I should stress that is my own opinion only, so my advice could be "wrong" according to style or your goals.

I really like this idea. I would keep the IBUs where they are in the 40s, but add another pound of base malt, and consider taking the Special Z down to like 2 or 3 ounces, but then add another maybe 3 ounces of Victory malt. Yum.

Cheers.

Thanks for the suggestions! I ended up brewing the original recipe and ended up with an OG of 1.050 and 86 percent brewhouse efficiency. Not complaining. I unfortunately forgot my whirlfloc so it's hard to tell the color in the hydrometer sample. Looks like it'll be a decent copper. After biofine and lagering I don't think it'll affect anything in the long run though.

Sounds pretty darn good, I think.

If you don't mind, an after-action report and photo of the finished beer would be nice. I am seriously thinking of brewing this for the winter, or possibly early spring.

If you don't mind, an after-action report and photo of the finished beer would be nice. I am seriously thinking of brewing this for the winter, or possibly early spring.

Will do! Beers sitting at 63 degrees right now, signs of fermentation have not yet begun. I'm sure it'll be fine, but it's always a little nervewracking when it's almost 24 hours after pitching.

So drinking this now, I'm finding that I much prefer an Altbier made with continental malt. It's really not a bad beer, mildly toasty and easy drinking, but light in flavor and missing an "it" factor that I think is due to missing the European malt.

I'd be inclined to agree, but it was certainly worth a try and sounds like it yielded good - if not "wow" results.

Back