American Wheat and secondary fermenter ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredderick

Reaction score
I made a batch of American Wheat over the weekend and I was wondering if there is any point in moving it to a secondary fermenter. I normally secondary all my beer to clear it up and get it off the trub. I don't think the clearing up factor will work for a wheat beer but didn't know if the beer would benefit from moving to the secondary fermenter.

I will end up kegging this beer if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your help!

For a wheat it probably wont be worth it. It will clarify more in your keg. The last German wheat that I did was cloudy 3 weeks after kegging. Two months later, it was super clear just from sitting in the keg at cool temperatures.

In my opinion secondaries almost never benefit a beer. I only secondary when I'm aging for more than 3 months or adding something like fruit or oak or something. I don't think beer clears any more effectively because you transfer it from one container to another. There are benefits to leaving it in contact with the yeast for longer, and there are risks to moving it like infection or oxidation. And if you are kegging it, then the keg is basically a secondary anyway.

That being said I definitely wouldn't secondary a wheat beer. Even if the secondary did clear the beer more, you wouldn't want your wheat to be clear. And wheats are better when they're young so you should go straight to keg and drink as soon as possible.

In my opinion secondaries almost never benefit a beer. I only secondary when I'm aging for more than 3 months or adding something like fruit or oak or something. I don't think beer clears any more effectively because you transfer it from one container to another. There are benefits to leaving it in contact with the yeast for longer, and there are risks to moving it like infection or oxidation. And if you are kegging it, then the keg is basically a secondary anyway.

That being said I definitely wouldn't secondary a wheat beer. Even if the secondary did clear the beer more, you wouldn't want your wheat to be clear. And wheats are better when they're young so you should go straight to keg and drink as soon as possible.

Perfect... Thanks for the suggestion

Back