American, highly aromatic dual purpose hops....do they exist?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am wondering if I could use a single hop variety as a dual-purpose hop to create nice aromatic APAs with mellow bitterness (obviously I need to pay attention to the IBU too...but the harshness of bitterness also depends on the hop variety IMO).

My idea is to single hop my wort (so...that will require a nice dual-purpose hop...wondering if Cascade would do.....) and achieve nice tropical fruity, citrusy aroma that comes from American hop varieties.

Any ideas which strain I should go with or if it is even possible?

I really dont know if my idea is viable, but I thought I'd give it a shot and ask you guys.

You can use any hop you want you just need to change your method. Have you tried first wort hopping and/or eliminating the 60min addition in favor of late additions?

I saw "dual purpose aromatic" and my mind jumped to centennial (my personal favorite). Not that I have any issue with any other of the hops that have been suggested.

If you've ever had Bell's Two Hearted Ale (I think the norther brewer clone is called dead ringer), that is an all centennial beer.

+1 on centennial. Cascade can be good too, though its in so many beers its almost overdone.

Also agree you should try First Wort Hopping if you aren't already.

Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra, Centennial, Cascade....

I am not sure Citra is a good bittering hop. I started this thread because I have been using Citra as a dual-purpose hop and it seems to impart a harsh type of bitterness.

I am not sure Citra is a good bittering hop. I started this thread because I have been using Citra as a dual-purpose hop and it seems to impart a harsh type of bitterness.

If you find it too harsh, you could use a much smaller amount at the start, and try to get the bulk of your IBUs from late additions. A lot of smaller breweries get a lot of IBUs from their whirlpool hopping, though it does require a lot more hops, it'll give you a different type of bitterness, as well as a ton of aroma and flavour.

Mosaic (from Simcoe) is amazing. Decent bitter, but extremely, extremely complex. Where I bought them from described the flavor as "artistic"...
They are awesome.

Add me to the list of Mosaic fans. It is the one hop I think can stand alone in a hoppy pale or IPA without it being obviously a single-hop beer. It is such a complex hop it brings a wide variety of aromas and flavors to a beer. I can't comment on the bittering end of it as I usually just use a clean high AA bittering hop, but I would think it should do alright.

I know there are quite a few beers out there featuring exclusively Citra but I don't like Citra so I can't comment on that. Centennial is another popular stand-alone hop but I personally think it performs better when paired with something else.

One of my favorite single-hop types is Ahtanum. Man, is that stuff delicious and aromatic.

Mosaic was my favorite but 2 of my top 5 home brews were made with el dorado. I think my next one will be both of them

I'm not sure if my the flavors in my beer are off or complex 😳

I've also heard bad things about Citra for bittering, unless you FWH with it.

I realize Zombie Dust is all-Citra, but I've had other single-hop Citra beers that aren't nearly as smooth. I've always had good luck with Centennial as a dual-purpose hop.

Latest posts

Back