American Barley Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first barley wine, and my first time using an extended boil. Constructive criticism is most appreciated!

Fermentables:
17 lbs. Maris Otter
1.5 lbs. Carapils
1 lb. Caramel 60
.5 lb. Caramel 40L

Boil:
180 min
120 min: 2 oz. Columbus pellets
15 min: 1 Whirlfloc tablet, 1 tsp. Wyeast beer yeast nutrient blend
5 min: 2 oz. Cascade pellets

Yeast: WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast

One of the lessons I've learned so far is that complex beer doesn't need a complex recipe. I'm only using two different caramel malts because that's what I had laying around.

As for the yeast, I've never used SD Super before, but I've heard outstanding things from you all. I started a 1 L starter last night. My plan is to cold crash, pour off the beer, and do a 2 L starter on top of that.

For the mash profile, I'm planning to mash at 156 with approx 1.4 qt/lb. I was originally thinking I would go no sparge and do a standard 1 hour boil, but longer boil seems to be how the big boys do it, and I really want to do this one right.

Target OG is ~1.110, target ABV is anywhere over 10%, which has thus far proven to be my 3-minute mile. Soooo many beers in the upper 9s, but I just can't seem to crack double digits.

On first glance I would say you need more hops - i shoot for 150+ calculated IBUs for anything over 1.080. Also I'd mash low. My (lower gravity) barlywine's I'll mash at 148, and put in 6 oz minimum high alpha hops.

If you want thick and sweet ignore this...!

Oh and my secret ingredient is 2 oz black patent in a 5 gallon batch...and way less crystal...

Steve da sleeve

The Carapils isn't that necessary, you already have a big grain bill for body. Mash low, you want as much attenuation as possible before the yeast stales. I would even add some simple sugar to help attenuation. Even with SD Super I'd go with a bigger starter, it's hard to over-pitch on a Barleywine. 3 hr boil, that's a lot of evaporation.

Back