Amber Ale yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slickshoes

Reaction score
Hi, I am brewering a partial mash amber ale with the following ingredients
Pale liquid extract
Caramel/crystal 60
Centennial
Mt Hood
Willamette

The recipe called for wyest 1332 northwest ale, I substituted because of availability, and picked up WLP005.

What do you guys think of the wlp005? And how do you think it would work in the brew?

I brewed today and recipe OG WAS 1.055 and I ended up with 40 or 44 was hard to read. :( What do u think the ABV will be?

For a partial mash you need to include base malts that have diastatic power to make fermentable sugars. Your crystal would have been used as a "steeping" malt which will make your efficiency much lower. Off the top of my head steeping crystal should give you around 30-35% efficiency. Partial mash efficiency is usually around 65-75% so that could have thrown off your gravity numbers.

Were you doing a partial boil using top off water? Partial boils are notorious for giving bad gravity numbers from not being mixed enough. When you're using extract as long as you're using the correct amount of malt and the correct volume of water your gravity can't really vary that far from what it's calculated at. You're essentially just adding a certain amount of sugar to a certain amount of water - not too much that go wrong outside of spilling a bunch of malt :p

Using all grain or partial mashes you are controlling enzymatic reactions that are actually making the sugars from starch. Depending on the conditions of your mash you might make more or less sugars from the same amount of grain - this is where things get a bit more complicated and a hydrometer or refractometer is a necessity for testing the efficiency of your mash.

:mug:

Yes I steeped crystal 60 and used LME. .33lbs of steeped crystal and 1 lb and 5.1 ounces of golden light liquid extract.

I am hoping I took a bad reading and it's ok!

I used brewsmith 2, I started with 1.75 gallons, steeped the crystal at 155 for 30 mins. In brewsmith it says boil off was suppose to be .71 gallon. Not sure how much I came up with but if I had to guess 1.25-.30, could this be the reason?

I was suppose to end up close to a gallon after a 60 min boil

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back