Amber Ale Recipe problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello:

I am a new homebrewer and have my 2nd batch fermenting right now. It's an Amber Ale from the brewers best recipe kit. I've only been doing this for 2 weeks and am kind of concerned about this recipe.

I think I may have made a mistake in frementing. I used a blowoff tube into a bucket of water for the first few days. I think I might have pushed the tube too far into the carboy, and i got A LOT of foam in the bucket. When I switched to a 3 piece airlock after the first few days of fermenting, I dumped out the bucket and there was actually a layer of sediment on the bottom k(kind of pinkish-tan in color). Anyway, now the top few inches of beer in the carboy is very dark (root beer colored) and kind of clear. Whereas the bottom is much more cloudy and brown. In fact the top layer almost looks lighter in consistency as well. There is however a layer of sediment on the bottom of the carboy

Just wondering if this is normal or if I messed up? I want to figure out before I begin bottling...

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

All this sounds normal, the sediment in the blowoff bucket was yeast. As well as the sediment in the carboy, sounds like everything is on schedule. After a total of three weeks fermentation you can take a hydrometer sample and bottle if appropriate.

I have brewed this BB kit for 4 batches and had similar results. I now leave it in the primary for at least 3-4 weeks to give the yeast time to clean up. I think your beer should be fine.

Thanks for the help... This whole brewing thing is a lot more complex and nerve-wracking than I ever thought it would be. The reward should be sweet though... I can't wait to drink my first batch, it's almost ready!!!

I brewed this same kit today - hope just an airlock will be sufficient as I don't have a blowoff tube set up. Guess I will know when I come down stairs tomorrow if theres a geyser shot of amber on my kitchen ceiling :drunk:

I used a blowoff tube with mine, but I think i had such a massive amount of blowoff because the tube was pushed too far into the carboy.

Update on my status, I bottled this brew yesterday, and although flat and at room temperature... IT WAS DELICIOUS, and 5.4 % ABV as well, which is a little higher than I anticipated. I can't wait to crack one open after they are fully ready!

Latest posts

Back