Amazon Prime & "The Grand Tour"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ki-ri-n

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I need to watch Clarkson, Hammond & May on the Grand Tour. But does anyone know how this show will work through Amazon? I'm not a complete idiot, but I can't seem to find out any of my answers on Amazon itself. Yes, I know you can get it through Prime (@~9/mo or ~$100year), but will it be available ala-cart?

I'd like to know if I could "buy" each episode (which I assume would be ~$3) or maybe buy the season ~$25. I don't think I would fully use prime through out the year to justify the cost. I'm still old school and watch TV the regular way and only buy on occasion through Amazon where the 2-day ship or free shipping would pay out as well.

TIA!

I guess we'll have to wait until the show starts or until the 2nd season starts, where they might sell the first season separately.

Can't wait for those guys to return :)

Good question, I'm not sure either...

Maybe this is time for you to determine if you can justify cutting the cord? Once you're not paying $100/month for cable, $100/year for Amazon Prime is a much more reasonable investment :D

Not sure why but I have a hard time trying to adjust how I'd watch TV. It's hard trying to draws parallels to the way I currently watch TV, to a "cord less" variety. Would I be able to watch everything I watch now, all through prime. And if not, could I watch it by some other means (OTA/other on-line source/stream) or give it up completely?

My bigger obstacle would be convincing SWAMBO/kids. I have a hard enough time showing them how to work the surround sound system :p

My bigger obstacle would be convincing SWAMBO/kids. I have a hard enough time showing them how to work the surround sound system :p

Funny story... I was picking my kids up from their mom's house and my son (9 yo) said:

"Yay, finally we get back to that Roku TV! No more of that stupid channel TV!"

The kids seem to prefer it this way...

My ex was SWMBO when I cut the cord, and you can clearly see that once we split she went right back to the cord.

Not sure why but I have a hard time trying to adjust how I'd watch TV. It's hard trying to draws parallels to the way I currently watch TV, to a "cord less" variety. Would I be able to watch everything I watch now, all through prime. And if not, could I watch it by some other means (OTA/other on-line source/stream) or give it up completely?

Logitech Harmony remote. Seriously. Best $100 or so bucks you can spend if you have people in your house that don't understand an a/v reciever setup. Press "Watch TV", it powers the necessary components on, switches all the inputs to the right settings. Press "Watch Movie", DVD/Blu-ray player powers on, inputs switch, and away you go. You truly go to a one-remote, foolproof system.

(My dad, who has trouble with anything beyond off/on, channel up/down, and volume, can run my full surround a/v system with mine with no help)

Semi off-topic: Actually, that wouldn't solve my "problem". When my system turns on (single power button on remote), it turns on the TV, AV receiver & cable STB. The AV initially sees the sound coming from the STB but then switches to "TV Apps" a few seconds later. Now there's a picture with no sound. It has to do with the whole HDMI setup between the cable box, AV & TV. There's no setting I can find on the AV or TV that will make it work the way I want to. For the life of me, I can't fix stupid. There's actually a couple of Apps that mimic the manufactures remotes fairly well and I can access just about everything with the Apps-no problem. However, SWAMBO refuses to use them and wants to use the "old time" remote.

Semi off-topic: Actually, that wouldn't solve my "problem". When my system turns on (single power button on remote), it turns on the TV, AV receiver & cable STB. The AV initially sees the sound coming from the STB but then switches to "TV Apps" a few seconds later. Now there's a picture with no sound. It has to do with the whole HDMI setup between the cable box, AV & TV. There's no setting I can find on the AV or TV that will make it work the way I want to. For the life of me, I can't fix stupid. There's actually a couple of Apps that mimic the manufactures remotes fairly well and I can access just about everything with the Apps-no problem. However, SWAMBO refuses to use them and wants to use the "old time" remote.
I'll look when I get home, but it might actually help. I think you can change the order it powers items on, and add a delay to set an input if you need to (power the tv on, then the reciever, then cable box, and then set input on cable box). I'll check it out when I get home to be sure.

And once it's set up, you hide all the other remotes.

Yeah, I have to power on the TV before I can power on the A/V receiver, otherwise I get nothing. :( I've just learned what order things have to be turned on.

we cut the cord, but only replaced with with netflix and Hulu (no commercial hulu).

I could not believe I was doing it. But I did it.

I don't miss it. It's weird. no channel surfing, you have to plan what you want to watch.

Now, On Topic, I can't wait. I am sure that once the first episode airs, you will be able to get it through other means. Probably even You Tube, But with the other ways there are legal risks... ...... I'll watch it through Amazon.

Well, I just found out we have a Prime membership :confused: Not only do I have to cut the cord now, but all the other ancillary services we're purchasing, Hulu, Prime.......Someone thinks we have money to burn :mad:
Guess at least I'll be watching all season long :rockin:

Love it that the "boys" are back :ban: A whole lot better than the 1st "new" TG episode. The Grand Tour May not be perfect (insert NASCAR driver here) but this show will deliver! All feels right with the world again......

I’ve been cordless for about two years. The kids never watched cable anyways. And I added an air antenna so I can watch local news and SWMBO could watch her shows. We also have fire tv and Netflix. We don’t miss cable one bit.

It's been so long since I cut I don't actually remember anymore. Was about the time Roku switched from being a music box to a DVP. So, almost 8 years, maybe.

I do miss surfing. Not enough on Netflix/Hulu/OTA/Amazon/YouTube to hold my/our interests to seek out something new and I am not a series watcher. For the most part it works out because I/we get bored and go do something NOT tv instead.

Back