Amarillo/Citra Hopbursted Session IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLR1987

Reaction score
Brewed this yesterday. I wanted something sessionable for springtime. What do you guys/girls think?

Batch size: 4.25 gal (that's about the max I can do based on my equipment.)

6lbs 2 row (92.4%)
1/4 lb carapils (3.8%)
1/4 lb crystal 60 (3.8%)

Mashed at 152 for 60 minutes.
Boiled for 90 minutes.

2oz Citra (whirlpool 12 minutes)
2oz Amarillo (whirlpool 12 minutes)

OG: 1.044

Pitched a 1L starter of Wyeast 1098 British Ale. It is now comfortably fermenting at 68F. I plan on dry hopping this with more citra and amarillo :) any feedback would be awesome. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So this was done with no hops in the boil whatsoever, right? Strictly whirlpool/steep?

I think it looks awesome. Why the 90 minute boil, though? 2-row has no problems in a 60 minute.

Yeah strictly flameout hops. It was showing around 50 ibus in beersmith which is why I also went with 12 minutes. As far as the 90 minute boil, it's just something I prefer to do, and I wanted the color a touch darker without having darker grain.

Seems interesting, id definitely be interested in how much bitterness you end up with. May have to change the hop schedule for my hop bursted blonde ales if it turns out good

The theory is you can achieve plenty of bitterness, but it can actually be a smoother bitterness. And I think 50ish ibus will add some decent bitterness. I've tried this technique before and it seemed to have good results.

i no longer use a 60 minute addition in my hoppy beer, i start at 15 or 20 minutes then all flameout, works great.

i no longer use a 60 minute addition in my hoppy beer, i start at 15 or 20 minutes then all flameout, works great.

This. I'm pretty much in the same boat when it comes to most hop forward beers. I want as much hop flavor as I can get!

This. I'm pretty much in the same boat when it comes to most hop forward beers. I want as much hop flavor as I can get!

Im also definitely in the same boat as well, just havent yet tried it with only the whirlpool addition

My standard is small 20, 15, 10, 5 additions, then a decent size at flameout and a huge hop stand. My Rye IPA has a really nice bitterness to it.

I really don't like beersmiths changes in the new update. I get ridiculous numbers from my hops stands (190 IBUs, etc). I usually calculate them as a 1 minute addition and it seems to give me a better gauge of the bitterness.

I'm drinking a Citra/Amarillo Session IPA right now. I went about it a little differently, but it's pretty damn good either way. Not sure what hops are in the new Stone Go-to, but my beer tastes pretty similar to it.

my recipe for 6 gallons:

8lbs 2-row
4oz cara-pils

mashed @148f for 90 minutes

.5oz magnum @ 60
.5oz Citra/.5oz Amarillo @ 5
1.5oz Citra/ 1.5oz Amarillo for a 30 minute hop stand
1oz Citra/ 1oz Amarillo dry hop for 5 days

Pitched a 1 liter starter of WLP 090 San Diego Super Yeast

OG 1.035
FG 1.01

It's pretty solid.

I'm drinking a Citra/Amarillo Session IPA right now. I went about it a little differently, but it's pretty damn good either way. Not sure what hops are in the new Stone Go-to, but my beer tastes pretty similar to it.

my recipe for 6 gallons:

8lbs 2-row
4oz cara-pils

mashed @148f for 90 minutes

.5oz magnum @ 60
.5oz Citra/.5oz Amarillo @ 5
1.5oz Citra/ 1.5oz Amarillo for a 30 minute hop stand
1oz Citra/ 1oz Amarillo dry hop for 5 days

Pitched a 1 liter starter of WLP 090 San Diego Super Yeast

OG 1.035
FG 1.01

It's pretty solid.

Nice work. Maybe when I bottle mine we can exchange and compare! Stone Go To has Mosaic, Citra, Ahtanum, Cascade, Crystal, 06300, El Dorado, Magnum, and Sterling according to their blog. It's hard to find half of those, but if Amarillo and Citra make it close I'll be ok with that. I still want to try the wlp090. I heard it's amazing.

Nice work. Maybe when I bottle mine we can exchange and compare! Stone Go To has Mosaic, Citra, Ahtanum, Cascade, Crystal, 06300, El Dorado, Magnum, and Sterling according to their blog. It's hard to find half of those, but if Amarillo and Citra make it close I'll be ok with that. I still want to try the wlp090. I heard it's amazing.

I started the 090 out at 65F and think that might have been a little on the cold side, because I had about a day and half of lag time before the krausen showed up and it took 7 days to fully attenuate. Usually Cal Ale is going strong within 12 hours for me and finishes off in 5 days or so depending on the OG. Next time I use it I'll pitch at 68F and go from there.

I'm down to a little more than a six pack, but I'd be happy to set one aside if you wanted to trade.

Back