Amalyse Enzyme Additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlfA01

...it ain't sold in heaven...
Reaction score
Anyone use amalyse enzyme as an additive during mash to convert starches in unmalted grains such as corn?

I have some from BSG products that I ordered for distilling. Malted corn is a staple in some distilling recipes, however, not so easy to come by all the time. I've used corn meal and cracked corn, so the enzyme additive is necessary to convert the starches to sugars in the mash.

What would the outcome be on brewing. I've scrolled through BeerSmith (not very thoroughly, however) and didn't see it in order to calculate what changes on gravity, etc., would be.

Cheers,
Dan

Have you checked out the Gluten Free (GF) section of this forum. Many GF brewers are using unmalted grains and enzymes for their beers.

Ultimately, you may have to experiment with a small one gallon batch to see if you are getting conversion.

Have you checked out the Gluten Free (GF) section of this forum. Many GF brewers are using unmalted grains and enzymes for their beers.

Ultimately, you may have to experiment with a small one gallon batch to see if you are getting conversion.

Right on! Great info, I'll check it out. I've used the product, but I was curious to see if there were any 'side effects' to using it for brewing, such as, "may produce off flavors if used above '???' temperature".

For many distilling recipes a cold mash is used, meaning the fermentation is done just like brewing but the lauter and boil processes are skipped, as they aren't necessary. Before ruining a good batch of Mexican Lager, for example, I wanted to see what everyone thought about the products.

I'm planning a winter wheat vodka right now. I'll sow the seeds in Sept and use the harvested grain (unmalted) and convert with enzymes in the mash.

Cheers,
Dan

Amalase enzymes are what converts any beer mash. The only difference with adding it yourself is that you're adding it directly instead of relying on what's already in your malted grain. There wouldn't be any off flavors or excess conversion if used as directed.

Amalase enzymes are what converts any beer mash. The only difference with adding it yourself is that you're adding it directly instead of relying on what's already in your malted grain. There wouldn't be any off flavors or excess conversion if used as directed.

Bravo! That's the answer/confirmation I was looking for before using it to supplement a mash.

I'll probably try a small batch first and then see the results before brewing a full 5-gallon batch.

Cheers,
Dan

Most beer brewing grists have sufficient enzymes (diastatic power) because unmalted adjuncts are kept below 40%.

Thanks Bobby! Typically I calculate my beer recipes in the you've described. I was curious though to find out if some of the starches were easily converted and higher gravity was obtained (without the addition of extra malted grains and sugars), then the beer may finish a little drier and less malty.

For example, here is a recipe for a Mexican Lager In this recipe, it calls for around 40% of the grain bill in flaked maize. Also, many of the brewers that have brewed the recipe have registered some complaints regarding the corn taste and maltiness being too prevalent in the final product. I was curious if adding the enzymes to convert more starches would help alleviate some of those nuances and balance the flavor of the final product.

Just kicking around some ideas. I'm gonna go over to the Gluten Free threads and see what those guys have to say. It appears they are using amalyse enzymes as additives for unmalted grains in their grain bills.

Cheers,
Dan :mug:

The question is, what is the motivation for adding amylase if malted barley will accomplish the same thing in the mash?

Well, you'd have to add the enzymes if you wanted to do something like a 100% corn beer for instance. This kind of thing is done a lot in the distillation world.

The question is, what is the motivation for adding amylase if malted barley will accomplish the same thing in the mash?

The motivation is just that....to find out if making any of these additions is useful or not. Given that a certain amount of enzymes are available from a certain amount of malted grains, then it may be safe to say that adding the enzyme could essentially speed up conversion, and/or, result in a more effective conversion?! Or allow you to mash at lower temps and still get a full conversion?!

Latest posts

Back