Am I the only one who doesn't find Cascade Hops to be "Citrusy"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnthonyCB

Reaction score
I know the conventional knowledge is that Cascade hops are "Citrusy" or have a Grapefruit quality. I brewed up the BIY Epic Pale ale clone and don't find any citrus or grapefruit in the aroma or flavor. If anything I get a bit of the noble spiciness with an herbal note. Have the rest of you brewed or consumed any single hop Cascade beers. What is your impression?

Also, I wonder if age/storage has anything to do with my experience. All the hops I used were stored in Mylar in my freezer prior to use. I think that Radical Brewing or Designing Great Beers mentions that Cascade is prone to aging and as I recall the Citrus notes were more a characteristic of older/poorly stored Cascade hops.

Thanks,

Anthony

I find cascade more piney than citrusy.

:confused:

Where are you getting your cascades from? I've gotten a concord grape-juice type flavor from one batch of cascade, but never pine. Not that I would mind.

Never got pineapple from Cascades. Had to mix Cascades, Perle and Amarillo to do that.

Back