Am i the only one that hates sours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Bruery, Jolly Pumpkin, and Russian River all make some amazing sours. Something like Russian River's Temptation is a good introductory sour. Cantillon is always a winner, but depending on which one you're looking at, might not be the best introductory sour (both because of the flavor / profile, and because of the price!)

Cheers!

So I had La Roja... It's good but not as complex as I thought it would be. Seems one dimensional in that it's just a semi-tart winish flavor. It was pleasant but not something I'd buy a ton. I might try again in a year or so. I have their brown ale so I'll try that one and see if I like that one soon.

I've just started trying a couple, and I'm not a fan, but I'm not giving up either. 15 years ago I wasn't a fan of IPA's, but now I love them. Just like all IPA's, Stouts, Ris..ect. There are good and bad. I'll find a style(or type) of sour I like.

Old Bruins and flanders reds are good sour styles to start with. Some tend to have a vinegary taste though. For a homebrew version, make a brown or scotch ale, then pitch some rosealare with 8oz of malto, then wait 6 months to a year. Comes out real nice, not overly sour, nice blend. I personally love a good mouth puckering gueze or lambic. I want it to hurt :)

So I had La Roja... It's good but not as complex as I thought it would be. Seems one dimensional in that it's just a semi-tart winish flavor. It was pleasant but not something I'd buy a ton. I might try again in a year or so. I have their brown ale so I'll try that one and see if I like that one soon.

What temp did you serve it at?

Had to laugh, just went to a small batch beer fest here in Greenville, SC and probably half the beers were sours. So I just stuck with the casked HopSlams and Espresso Sublimely Self Righteous types!! Not a sour fan!

Participating in this thread forced me to purchase (and consume) a Gueuze today :)

Not a sour fan either. It is the only beer style I don't like. Can't seem to enjoy them right now and there are so many other beers to enjoy!

When you drink them is important too. For example, I appreciate sours more in the summer. I find them very refreshing.

I did have a Monomoy Kriek at the loca beer bar that was refreshingly tart....I tried it again when it came back around almost a year later, and I didn't like it! Change in palate or change in recipe? We may never know.

flyingfinbar said:
I did have a Monomoy Kriek at the loca beer bar that was refreshingly tart....I tried it again when it came back around almost a year later, and I didn't like it! Change in palette or change in recipe? We may never know.

Or dirty lines.

I served it 50 and tried it as it warmed. By the time I was done it was room temperature.

Huh, I've never thought La Roja was one dimensional so I figured you were drinking it cold. You really don't like sours.

Just thought I'd update in case anyone cares. I had Sam Adams Stony Brook Red. I THOROUGHLY enjoyed it. The sourness added a complexity to it rather than dominating. I know it's probably a beginner sour, but I enjoyed it.

Maybe I need to give them another shot. Any recommendations? The last couple I tried were Sierra Nevada/Russian River Brux and Cantillon Classic Geuze and I just felt like they tasted like cheap wine.

I thought Brux was pretty terrible, I couldn't find anything to like about it. A good, and relatively cheap sour is Duchesse de Bourgogne.

Back