Am I growing hops in my backyard Tampa Florida?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tina Hinton

Reaction score
This is what's growing in an old chicken pen. Please assist..tina
20171222_122804.jpg

those don't look like any hops I have seen. the flowering part is similar, but the leave and bine don't look like hops to me. hops have small hook type things on their "vines" that grab onto things. those look too smooth.

With all due respect, I might have to disagree. Finding my variation all over the place online. There's just a few to check out if you get a minute

Thebrewenthusiast.com
Gurney's
Thetreecenter.com (shows both types of leaves by the way)
...and so many more...

I'm goin' in the beer biz boys!

So, you've confirmed that they are hops and you just wanted us to concur?

Which really is not a great idea unless you actually trust the verifying source. Some people should not trust themselves in such matters.

THOSE ARE NOT HOPS.

Which really is not a great idea unless you actually trust the verifying source. Some people should not trust themselves in such matters.

THOSE ARE NOT HOPS.

I don't think they are hops, either. I just got the impression she had already made up her mind and wanted us to agree.

The vine looks more like this. Paederia foetida, aka skunk vine. It is invasive and grows all over the south.

PaederiaFoetida.jpg

I posted my findings because it's frustrating when questions are posted on a forum, members respond with ie
feedback, possible solutions, ect. And then the Questioner never post the outcome!

From my uneducated standpoint, I am almost positive that is hops, after doing my due diligence. With that being said, I did take your advice Shetc and reached out to FL University via email..let you know outcome.

Thank you for all the feedback and I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday!

Hops bines always grow in a spiral so they can climb. They also have little follicles on the bines that help them attach to the item they are climbing. Also most leaves have serated edges

The picture shows straight smooth stalks, and smooth rounded leaves.

I’m not a Botanist so I do not know what they are, but they are not hops.

This is what's growing in an old chicken pen. Please assist..tinaView attachment 550684

Suggestive of being hops: have opposed leaves, what appears to be strobiles
Suggestive of not being hops: hop leaves are serrated, hop leaves have a different texture look, no visible twists on stems, stems are smooth instead of hooked/hairy, strobiles (?) are isolated instead of in clumps

Verdict: doesn't look like hops to me.

Back