Aluminum Pot option if you are looking for one....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakasfan

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just got this 10 gallon aluminum pot and lid from Amazon and wanted to share with those who might be looking for one....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CHKL68/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Pot is about $35, lid is 7.50.... shipping to my neck of the woods was $12.50.

Yes I know there are less expensive pots out there but I think this one is a little better quality than the low-end models that might be cheaper.

I received the pot yesterday and it is very solid... no flex or bowing when I put a fair amount of pressure on it. Handles are solid but I have not checked for leakage around the rivets. Haven't brewed in it yet but I am happy with the purchase at this price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently I have a 5 gallon pot so am just shy of doing full boils. I know full boils improve hop utilization, but would the taste be very noticeable over let's say a 4 gallon boil? I just recently got into the hobby and am unsure if I want to commit to a bigger pot since I just recently purchased the 5 gallon.

Currently I have a 5 gallon pot so am just shy of doing full boils. I know full boils improve hop utilization, but would the taste be very noticeable over let's say a 4 gallon boil? I just recently got into the hobby and am unsure if I want to commit to a bigger pot since I just recently purchased the 5 gallon.
Absolutely no need to do full boils until you get into all grain.

Great pot.. Look into putting a little insulation around it to help get it to and maintain a full boil.

bosco

What is a good product to help insulate that wont burn up from the heat of burner? I would really like to get something.

I can boil no problem but always figured insulation would allow me to boil with my burner set lower to save fuel costs but it is so friggin hot at the edges of my pot (not from the boil, from the flame) that I figured it would burn most stuff and stick to my pot.

I have a big commercial range. I lift out the cast iron grid from the main burner and:

Line the drip dish just under the burner with heavy aluminum foil. Reflects the heat up.

Lay a sheet of heavy foil over the stove and counter that adjoins it, then I replace the grid. Keeps counter and rest of range cool and clean.

Double layer of heavy foil wrapped 2/3 of the way down from the top of pot. Secured with butcher's twine at the bottom and crimped over the top edge.

I use anti-gas drops ( only 3 or 4 ) to prevent boilovers. IT WORKS.

I would use something more permanent (heat wrap from Home Depot) but I use the pot for more than just brewing and for those uses it isn't needed.

I have a really good exhaust over the range and when you do full boils inside especially with gas you'll need something to get rid of the steam and the CO gas fumes.

OMO

bosco

Back