Alternative to pumps for 10g batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmcl

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
That OR:
Bowflex.jpg

Man, this is what I love about the homebrewing community. People thinking out of the box - not taking anything for granted.

That, and beer.

Depends on your chilling method, I've used my 25' CFC by gravity feed and it is slow going, my peristaltic pump really sped things up.

I never planned on using a pump for the same reasons listed, but I got an OLD Little Giant when I bought a lot of brewing equipment from some guy on craigslist (mainly I wanted his keggles and grainmill). After using it twice I could not do without it. I put my mashtun on a 4-ft stack of concrete blocks for gravity draining (I stir standing on a stool( and only use the pump for moving scalding water up to the MLT. Once the boil is on, the still-clean pump and HLT keg go back in the shed. As each gyle comes off the boil I chill with my IC and lift the pot onto the blocks and whirlpool. I use 8-gal turkey fryer pots and boil each gyle seperately, even if combining them all equally into one beer (say, 10 gallons of porter). I plan on doing a lot of English style parti-gyles, but to this point I've only collected data on the gravities of the runnoffs and split equally between my Better Bottles.

This has worked really well for me. Now I can brew 10- or 15-gallon batches without a huge equipment investment over my previous setup. The whole thing was possible, though, because of my craigslist find--2 kegs with bulkheads already welded in, and this old pump.

Back