Alternative regulator exist?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosnhojm20

Reaction score
Morebeer is having a sale on a regulator. It doesn't have a meter to tell how much O2 is coming through.

Is there an alternative out there? I figure I could find one on ebay or amazon for cheaper than what Morebeer sells this for but don't know what to look for. Any help would be mucho appreciado!

I doubt that More Beer device (or the similar Williams Brewing) is actually a regulator, more likely just a needle valve.

Otoh, you can find these relatively inexpensive actual regulators with a gauge for a standard CGA 540 tank for fairly small $$. I think eBay has them even cheaper than Amazon by maybe $5 or so...

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt that More Beer device (or the similar Williams Brewing) is actually a regulator, more likely just a needle valve.

Otoh, you can find these relatively inexpensive actual regulators with a gauge for a standard CGA 540 tank for fairly small $$. I think eBay has them even cheaper than Amazon by maybe $5 or so...

Cheers!

I was looking at those! I have no access to 02 like that though, I'd be stuck with the disposable tanks. Am I screwed? I really want something like you posted, I've heard over oxygenating wort ends up being pretty gross.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also in market for budgerigar o2 system. I don't think a medical regulator will work on the disposable tanks right? Need a source for a valve that will fit on the disposable tank.

Well, actually I might have access. I was thinking medical grade which isn't necessary. Anyway, that is a great lead. Keep the ideas comin'!

fwiw, just throwing this out there, I have a 20cf 02 tank that lasts a couple of years between fillings, and I usually crank out around 150g annually. I'm not sure the disposables are a good value proposition if you brew frequently...

Cheers!

Good looks, daytripper. I'm at about 50g a year, but only my first year brewing. I'd pony up a few extra bucks if it means knowing how much o2 I'm using and it seems like from an hour of half-drunk google searches going with a non-disposable tank is the only way. I could be wrong though, hence I'm here!

I really want something like you posted, I've heard over oxygenating wort ends up being pretty gross.

Where did you 'hear' that?

Wyeast advises that it's generally not a concern -
Over-oxygenation is generally not a concern as the yeast will use all available oxygen within 3 to 9 hours of pitching and oxygen will come out of solution during that time as well. Under-oxygenation is a much bigger concern.

In addition to that link, here's an older episode of the Basic Brewing podcast that includes a lengthy interview with David Logsdon of Wyeast about the life-cycle of yeast - http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr04-05-07logsdon.mp3
That interview addresses the topic of initial oxygenation at some length. Jump to 22:38 for the relevant part.

The short version is that it's more about when you oxygenate rather than how much. Well after the start of fermentation is undesirable and can give adverse effects. But for initial aeration, even if you pushed 40ppm (a lot!), the yeast will use the amount they need and then simply push the residual oxygen out of solution within a very short period of time (hours).

Wyeast seems like a pretty good source here, given the amount of research they have obviously done with yeast. Their recommendation for optimal initial oxygenation is for 8-10ppm, which for a 5 gallon batch is about 1 minute of oxygen from a sintered stone. But, more oxygen won't hurt, unless it is introduced well after the start of fermentation.

day_trippr said:
fwiw, just throwing this out there, I have a 20cf 02 tank that lasts a couple of years between fillings, and I usually crank out around 150g annually. I'm not sure the disposables are a good value proposition if you brew frequently... Cheers!

I have read the disposable tanks are goo for about 8 batches. That's about $1 per batch with equipment cost from more beer or Williams OG $50. What does value prop on your system look like assuming I have to buy the materials retail? (No magic Craig's list bonanza)

angrysparrow said:
Where did you 'hear' that? Wyeast advises that it's generally not a concern - In addition to that link, here's an older episode of the Basic Brewing podcast that includes a lengthy interview with David Logsdon of Wyeast about the life-cycle of yeast - http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr04-05-07logsdon.mp3 That interview addresses the topic of initial oxygenation at some length. Jump to 22:38 for the relevant part. The short version is that it's more about when you oxygenate rather than how much. Well after the start of fermentation is undesirable and can give adverse effects. But for initial aeration, even if you pushed 40ppm (a lot!), the yeast will use the amount they need and then simply push the residual oxygen out of solution within a very short period of time (hours). Wyeast seems like a pretty good source here, given the amount of research they have obviously done with yeast. Their recommendation for optimal initial oxygenation is for 8-10ppm, which for a 5 gallon batch is about 1 minute of oxygen from a sintered stone. But, more oxygen won't hurt, unless it is introduced well after the start of fermentation.

I hear ya that you have a very solid source. I've read it and heard it, see below for what it's worth.

http://byo.com/stories/issue/item/1891-oxygenating-wort-tips-from-the-pros

"Over oxygenation and under oxygenation are the most common mistakes brewers make. Over oxygenation can stress the yeast and under oxygenation can lead to too long a lag time and sluggish fermentations."

I know I've heard it on a Brew Strong, if assume the aeration episode but am not about to track it down.

I am sure it is hard to over oxygenate but personally I'd like some confidence in knowing I'm getting relatively correct ppm.

fwiw, just throwing this out there, I have a 20cf 02 tank that lasts a couple of years between fillings, and I usually crank out around 150g annually. I'm not sure the disposables are a good value proposition if you brew frequently...

Cheers!

+1^
The disposable O2 tanks only hold a very small amount of compressed O2, and of course it's all in gas form. Most people don't know that and think it is like a small propane cylinder, with a liquid inside that evaporates. Not so with O2, or N2 for that matter.

Is yours a medical O2 tank and if so, how do you get that filled? Do you need a "prescription" or a "connection?"

IslandLizard said:
+1^ The disposable O2 tanks only hold a very small amount of compressed O2, and of course it's all in gas form. Most people don't know that and think it is like a small propane cylinder, with a liquid inside that evaporates. Not so with O2, or N2 for that matter. Is yours a medical O2 tank and if so, how do you get that filled? Do you need a "prescription" or a "connection?"

Maybe the o2 used for welding?

[...]Is yours a medical O2 tank and if so, how do you get that filled? Do you need a "prescription" or a "connection?"

It's not a medical grade tank, just a generic 20cf steel O2 tank with a standard CGA-540 valve. I suppose it's closest to a welding tank, though that's a pretty small tank. I do tank swaps at the closest AirGas.

It has a Western Medica regulator with flow meter I picked up from Craig's List a few years ago for $15, seller didn't know what to do with it...

Cheers!

ab_nov_01_2010_04_sm.jpg

It's not a medical grade tank, just a generic 20cf steel O2 tank with a standard CGA-540 valve. I suppose it's closest to a welding tank, though that's a pretty small tank. I do tank swaps at the closest AirGas.

It has a Western Medica regulator with flow meter I picked up from Craig's List a few years ago for $15, seller didn't know what to do with it...

Cheers!

Does the Morebeer or Williams Brewing "regulator" fit on one of these green welding tanks? I'm thinking I'd get their regulator and use disposables while keeping eye out for my own CL deal. Maybe I'd find the tank first and then could start using it right away...

Back