Alternative false bottom for Blichmann G1 10g

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidepart

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has any experience with picking an alternative false bottom for blichmann G1 kettles, or know of one that'd fit well. I'd like to add a false bottom to my 10g boil kettle for hops and break. I've used a tippy dump brew sculpture a couple of times that has (what looks like) a Polar Ware false bottom that works fantastically. Meanwhile in my basement I'm always frustrated because the G1 kettle is too narrow for me to get a good whirlpool going (with the thermometer poking out, and the diptube/hop blocker combo). Also bagging the damn hops and using a hop spider is annoying as well as I sit there waiting for half of my hot wort to drain out of the bag post-boil. I want a false bottom.

Anyway, I won't grab the Blichmann FB. I've used it on a friend's system, it's great for mashing but I believe them when they say not to use it during a boil. Looks like it'd get clogged pretty well with hop and break material, and cause some issues. But something like the Polar Ware false bottom looks like it'd work great and would be easy to clean up (just pull it out and scrape into the compostables with the grain).

Back