alternative dry yeast brands - CellarScience, APEX Cultures, Mauribrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
I strongly suspect that Cellar Science is repackaged Fermentis yeasts and that German = W-34/70.

Also, if you don't really need a full 500g, at RiteBrew you can get 500g of W-34/70 for around $178. It is the same $4.09 per 11.g if you purchase 10+ packs, so you could get less quantity if needed. 830246 - Saflager W34/70 Dry Yeast - 11.5g

Last edited:
I’ve used Apex San Diego. I think I paid $60 for a half kilo. It’s not a warm capable yeast, but it’s okay. With a bit of enzyme it will attenuate fully.

looking to buy a bulk 500g brick of dry yeast for some upcoming warm-fermented lagers

SafLager 34/70 is selling for $170
CellarScience "German" is $100 : CellarScience® German Dry Lager Yeast (500 g) | MoreBeer or Cart
APEX "Munich True Lager" is $70 : Apex Cultures Munich True Lager Yeast 500g
Mauribrew Lager is $60 : Mauribrew Lager - Dry Brewing Yeast 500G (Lager Beer)

can anyone confirm which / if any of these are re-packaged 34/70 strain?
If rumors are true, mauribrew lager is mangrove Jack California lager, which is the cleanest warm lager I know of. I used it at up to 30c with good results. Don't underpitch though, it might get really slow at the end if there are not enough cells present.

I strongly suspect that Cellar Science is repackaged Fermentis yeasts and that German = W-34/70.

Also, if you don't really need a full 500g, at RiteBrew you can get 500g of W-34/70 for around $178. It is the same $4.09 per 11.g if you purchase 10+ packs, so you could get less quantity if needed. 830246 - Saflager W34/70 Dry Yeast - 11.5g

thanks for the link on the 10+ pack deal. If I can confirm APEX/Mauribrew are 34/70, the cost will be closer to $1.50 per 11g packet so significant savings

If rumors are true, mauribrew lager is mangrove Jack California lager, which is the cleanest warm lager I know of. I used it at up to 30c with good results. Don't underpitch though, it might get really slow at the end if there are not enough cells present.

that's interesting to hear

34/70 has the reputation as the warm-fermentation champ, but maybe I should broaden my horizons to include California Lager yeast

that's interesting to hear

34/70 has the reputation as the warm-fermentation champ, but maybe I should broaden my horizons to include California Lager yeast
I also used 3470 quite a bit warm. It definitely works but I would prefer the mj California lager.

I've used w34/70, Mauribrew Lager, and Mangrove Jack's M54 Californian Lager. My experience has been that they appear to be different yeasts.

I share @CascadesBrewer's suspicion that Cellar Science's "German" is w34/70, though I haven't used the German.

Back