Alternate method in checking for complete conversion in mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sea2summit3

Reaction score
Despite the apparent safety of using Iodophor for sanitation I just don't like the idea of it touching my beer. Paranoia? Probably. I've gone with Star San. But without Iodophor, I ran into a problem when I wanted to check my mash for complete starch to sugar conversion.
Being an avid backpacker, I've used to use the iodine based "Potable Aqua" as an emergency backcountry water treatment. After rummaging through my shed, I finally found an old expired bottle. One tab dissolved in a couple tbls of water worked great to test my mash!

If you're new to brewing and don't know how to do this:

Do not add the iodine solution to your mash!
Make your Iodine solution:
1. Fully dissolve one Potable Aqua tab in a shot glass of warm water

Test your mash:
1. Take a 1 tbls sample of your mash and put it a saucer
2. Add a bit of your Iodine solution and watch the color
If it turns purple, starches are still present and you could continue mashing
If the color doesn't change: You are done mashing. Sparge, boil, RDWHAHB!

It may be difficult to see a color change in a dark mash such as porter or Stout. Dilute your mash sample with equal parts clean water and the color will be more obvious.:mug:

that's interesting but why are you afraid of iodine as a sanitizer? at least why are you more afraid of iodine than starsan?
you can also find small bottles of iodine at just about any pharmacy "betadine" I think is a common brand name.

that's interesting but why are you afraid of iodine as a sanitizer? at least why are you more afraid of iodine than starsan?

Preconceived beliefs of iodine combined with relative inexperience in homebrewing resulting in unjustified paranoia! Plus I liked the information in Basic Brewing's interview with Charlie Talley! :D

Black Cat Porter is about done mashing! Woohoo! :mug:

What was your grain bill on that porter? I have brewed it before from the recipe in "The Homebrewer's Recipe Guide". Did yours have any molasses in it?

I came up with this conversion for the extract recipe in the book:

4 lbs. 2 Row Light Ale Malt
2 lbs. 6 Row Malt
1 lb. Vienna Malt
1 lb. Crystal 40 (CaraMunich)
½ lb. Chocolate Malt
½ lb. Flaked Barley
¼ lb. Black Patent Malt
One Bottle Brair Rabbit Molasses
3 Tbs Vanilla Extract (Half way through secondary)
1 ½ oz Fuggles Hops – Bittering
1 oz Tettnanger Hops – Aroma
1 Pack Nottingham Yeast
Irish Moss

you can also find small bottles of iodine at just about any pharmacy "betadine" I think is a common brand name.

I looked into the use of Betadine when I first started brewing. The difference between it and Iodophor is the other ingredients (other that iodine). Basically Betadine is not food safe while Iodophor is. If I recall correctly Betadine uses a detergent while Iodophor a surfactant.

I looked briefly for facts to back these statements up but could not readily find them. I would like it if someone can share facts to the contrary as I have access to Betadine.

To the OP... Great interview
http://cdn3.libsyn.com/basicbrewing...59&nva=20081122022559&t=0e12ea2c3cbd029510d60

Cheers!!! :mug:
Chris

I looked into the use of Betadine when I first started brewing. The difference between it and Iodophor is the other ingredients (other that iodine). Basically Betadine is not food safe while Iodophor is. If I recall correctly Betadine uses a detergent while Iodophor a surfactant.

I believe you're right. My original post was meant as a suggestion to use iodine to test starch to sugar conversion in your mash and not for use as a sanitizer. k1v1116 was stating that you could use betadine as well since its probably easier and cheaper than getting "Potable Aqua" (a backcountry emergency water treatment). :)

What was your grain bill on that porter? I have brewed it before from the recipe in "The Homebrewer's Recipe Guide". Did yours have any molasses in it?

This is only the second recipe I've created and the first homemade recipe I've actually made. Suggestions, comments, additions, subtractions, and random words of wisdom welcome!

My knowledge of porter and calculations for this recipe came from the book "Designing Great Beers"

Black Cat Porter- (I've discovered my new kitten has taken a liking to sitting in my old brew pots, which gave me the inspiration to design a porter.)

Target Gravity= 1.055
Bitterness 45 BU
5 Gal batch
Extract recipe

6.43 lbs Pale Malt Extract
1.6 lbs Chocolate Malt
1.27 lbs Crystal Malt
0.80 lbs Black malt

1 oz Pearls Hops- Bittering, 60 min boil
1/2 oz Fuggle Hope- Aroma, 15 min boil

I haven't tested my sample yet for O.G. so no idea if I hit target gravity. Adding that to my list of things to do tonight. Also trying out kegging for the first time tonight - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale and Ed Wort's Apfelwein
:rockin:

your right betadine does have other ingredients but I was only suggesting it as a starch conversion test not a sanitizer although it may work for both. I have a nearly 20 year old bottle that lists: citric acid, dibasic sodium phosphate, glycerin, and "other ingredients" the front of the bottle says "providone-iodine 10%" I assume the other ingredients prevent it from being a true no rinse sanitizer I know some of the things listed dont sublimate like iodine.

your right betadine does have other ingredients but I was only suggesting it as a starch conversion test not a sanitizer although it may work for both. I have a nearly 20 year old bottle that lists: citric acid, dibasic sodium phosphate, glycerin, and "other ingredients" the front of the bottle says "providone-iodine 10%" I assume the other ingredients prevent it from being a true no rinse sanitizer I know some of the things listed dont sublimate like iodine.

I stand corrected, I am pretty sure most any iodine compound will work as a conversion test. I bet Tincture of iodine is cheap in the drug store.

Back