Altering the Amber kit. Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanddr

Reaction score
I picked up an Amber kit from a LHBS that has specialty grains for steeping, 6lbs of LME, 1oz of UK Challenger at 60min and 1oz of Ahtanum at 5min. Fermented with WLP001.

As I was brewing I thought I'd experiment a bit by adding 1/2oz of Glacier at 30min and 1/2oz of Cascade at 15min along with an extra 1lb of LME.
How much do you think I altered it? Too hoppy? Still considered an Amber or did I push it into a different category?

Im sure it will turn out just fine and tasty but I thought I'd get your thoughts as it bubbles away in my basement....

Well, you probably are close to doubling the IBU's of this batch, so I hope you like you ambers on the bitter side. You've upped the ABV about 15%, so you'll have a much more substantial brew.

Well, I do enjoy hops. This may have pushed it outside of the style in the IBU category as you mentioned.

Well, I do enjoy hops. This may have pushed it outside of the style in the IBU category as you mentioned.

probably, but that is part of the fun of homebrewing! My advice is feel free to experiment. Just when you're first starting out try and avoid getting too ambitious (hold off on attempting that 12% abv 100 IBU peach vanilla bacon stout until you've nailed the procedures and sanitation steps). But hell, if you want to beef up your amber and make it a bit more bitter/hoppy give it a go!

After 2 weeks in the primary it tastes great! It isnt too hoppy at all and I think the extra lb of lme helped offset the extra hops. Cant wait to start drinking this one.

nice! Glad to hear its moving along nicely, let us know how it tastes out of the bottle.

Latest posts

Back