Altbier (OMB Copper)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostHopper

Reaction score
I'm looking for a recipe similar to Old Mecklenburg Copper? I really like that beer but distribution is very limited (only NC).

I think the malt bill (pils, munich with something for color) and hops (noble) are basic but I'm wondering about yeast.

Thanks

I love this beer!
Definitely stop by the brewery if you can. OMB brews only German lagers and they're all excellent.

I'd be surprised if Copper doesn't have crystal malt.

We just got back from Charlotte and visited the brewery. Great atmosphere and terrific beer.

Actually Copper is an ale but brewed like a lager.
As are all Altbiers.
I can't say anything about Old Copper (never sampled it although I would if some came up North), but Altbiers in general are fermented with a german ale yeast, then lagered for at least 3 weeks. I have used WY1007 and like it quite a bit. You could maybe also use a Kolsch yeast and if neither are available then might get away with the California Steam beer yeast (I forget the #). Also notice the hop rate- Alts are supposed to be hoppier than similar german lagers. In fact, when I try to describe Alts to newbies, I tell them it's somewhat like a hoppier Oktoberfest. You are correct about the grain bill- I tend to use about 40% pilsner malt, 40% munich, 10% dark munich, and about 10% caramunich 2 +/or 3 and melanoidin malts. Plus if necessary, enough midnight wheat to get the color I want(14-16 SRM). 10% wheat malt is also acceptable in the grain bill.

I have used WY1007 and like it quite a bit. You could maybe also use a Kolsch yeast and if neither are available then might get away with the California Steam beer yeast (I forget the #). Also notice the hop rate- Alts are supposed to be hoppier than similar german lagers. In fact, when I try to describe Alts to newbies, I tell them it's somewhat like a hoppier Oktoberfest.

Supposedly 1007 is the same as WLP036 Dusseldorf Alt, which is a bit of a weird ale yeast from a genetic point of view, not a million miles from Windsor and S-33.

Don't go overboard on the hopping - although Zum Uerige is the famous one, it is atypically bitter at around 50IBU, the Dusseldorf ones are more like 35IBU and the non-Dusseldorf ones about 25 IBU.

As are all Altbiers.
it's somewhat like a hoppier Oktoberfest. You are correct about the grain bill- I tend to use about 40% pilsner malt, 40% munich, 10% dark munich, and about 10% caramunich 2 +/or 3 and melanoidin malts. Plus if necessary, enough midnight wheat to get the color I want(14-16 SRM). 10% wheat malt is also acceptable in the grain bill.

Hoppy Oktoberfest is perfect description of Copper.

If you're looking for an example available in the Northeast, Long Trail Ale and Long Trail DoubleBag are pretty good examples IMO. They do have a fair amount of recipe info. on their site (or at least did back when I was coming up with my recipes). And edit- Ray Daniels Designing Great Beers has a good chapter on Alts.

For my taste Long Trail Ale is mediocre.

Copper is truly exceptional and far above other altbiers I've had (in my opinion).

Bought some malt, hops and yeast for an Alt today, just waiting for the opportunity to cook this up. :)
Doing a slightly extended mash to dry it out a bit because I used a generous amount of Munich.

OG=1.053
5% ABV nominal
SRM= 13-14
25-30IBU Tinseth
Approximately 72% Efficiency

3lb. Avangard German Pilsner
5lb. Briess Bonlander Munich 10L
1lb. Dingemans Aromatic
1lb. White Wheat
1oz. Briess Black Prinz steeped at lauter for a bit of color - LBHS out of Midnight wheat, but at this level ist machts nichts.
2oz. Tettnanger FWH @ 3.2AA & a mix of Czech Saaz at 3.2AA
WLP036 Altbier yeast

Last edited:
Back