Altbeir wlp 1007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve3730

Reaction score
doing my first altbeir for a competition (bottles due feb 5th) trying to figure out a fermentation schedule for it. thinking 1 week 60-65 and than lager it for 3 weeks at 50. Keg it/carb it and bottle off the keg.

never used this yeast before so not to sure about the ferm schedule

I'm not certain it will be ready by Feb 5. For my last batch with 1007 yeast... it took 2 months before the diacetyl and sulfur were gone. YMMV but I'd be cautious, it's not a very fast yeast. At 65 F it might be done faster, might be worth aiming that high on this one.

I use 1007 often. I usually let it ferment in the mid 50s then raise temp for D-rest and cleanup. Usually, it's in the fermenter for two weeks.

It's a powdery strain that needs finings to clear. I've had good results with kegging then chilling to serving temps and hitting with gelatin. It's usually clear by the time it's carbed (after a few draws off the keg.)

So, it'll be close but I think it's doable.

ETA: A big starter helps move it along.

I'd do just a couple days at mid 50s. That is, when fermentation activity starts to slow down, start warming 'er up the leave it at mid 60s for a week or so, then keg, chill, fine and carb.

At least that's how I've done it with good success.

Latest posts

Back