Already carbed; now want to back sweeten

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m750

Reaction score
I fermented my cider bone dry, then put in a keg in the converted freezer and carbed it to 2.0 vols. It is ok, but I want to add some sweetness to it, would it be ok to just remove the pressure, vent a few times, then open and add some concentrated apple or brown sugar? Since it's so cool (40) do I have to worry about fermentation starting back up?

I'd be concerned about adding more fermentables. I've had some success with Lactose to sweeten a bit (used up to 1/2 lb and could have gone more). I've also heard adding a fake sweetener like splenda works but I hate that fake sweetener taste.

I did a batch with stevia. I like it better than the stuff I sweetened with cranapple concentrate. Plus it was dirt cheap. 2tsp per 5 gallons. I got about 3-4 tablespoons for 5 bucks at the local home brew supply. Enough for about 30 gallons.

Thanks guys, I'm going to avoid artificial sweeteners / stevia for now. I guess the worst that can happen is an infection...
AO

If your kegging and force carbing then why are you worried about fermentation re-starting... just pastuerize, back sweeten, and carb again. :drunk:

Would you just bring it up to 150 in your Brew kettle, hold it, then keg?

Add potassium Sorbate to stop fermentation. Keep temp at 40 or below and back sweeten as you like. I often add more apple juice frozen concentrate. Then adjust carbonation. Did you rack after the cold crash? If you did, then the remaining yeast should be minimal and the Sorbate will prevent it from reproducing.
By the way, stevia is a natural product and not artificial.

Thanks, I racked off yeast at week one, then again after I had cold crashed. I decided to not add anything additional (sorbate or pasturize) but I did add 1/2 a can of concentrated white grape juice, and recarbed. It was only a 3gallon batch.
I guess when I said artifical sweetner I should have said non sugar based, we have truvia around the house, as my wife likes it, but I've heard that stevia on it's own has a twang and its normally packaged with sugar too.
Either way the deed is done, but I appreciate the advise, and next time I'll likely sorbate after crashing. Thanks,
AO

Back