Almonds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buck27

Reaction score
First post, second brew.
Thinking about attempting an Almond Pale Ale or just an Almond Ale.
Does anyone have an input on what might work best? Whether it be an extract, almond in mash or in the secondary. I'm looking to avoid the oil from the nut and possibly dry hop it with home grown Cascades for a unique taste. Any thoughts on achieving the hint of almonds in a light to medium colored ale?

I've heard toasting them on a brown paper bag for multiple short periods of time will help extract the oils.

I've personally tried the extract w/o much luck

let some of the other more experienced home brewers chime in

I cannot comment on using the raw nuts, but every time I've tried using extracts of nut flavors it does not do well. Too much of a on off chemical taste,

Good idea about the paper bag when toasting to catch the oils. I will try that technique or place them on a rack and place the brown paper underneath it to try and avoid any off-flavors.

I am looking for a brew that is hoppy upfront for aroma and little bitterness, then finishes smooth with an almond aftertaste.
For hops addition, any recommendations?
I will be using Northern Brewer and Cascade. I am willing to switch out Northern Brewer if someone has input on how to achieve what I'm looking for.

image-1897415317.jpg

Decided to toast the almonds and add them directing to the mash tun for the full hour. If it turns out anything like how my kitchen smelled it will be a delicious brew.
After fermenting I am going to taste and might even toast some more and condition it with the almonds in some Muslim mesh

Regular almonds don't have much flavor. I don't think racking on regular almonds is going to do much.

Are you wanting an Amaretto type almond flavor? That's made from bitter almonds. If so, you can simply use some Amaretto or Orgeat syrup.

If I were to use the Amaretto. Is there a proportion you recommend?

I've used 12oz. of Amaretto in 5 gallons of coffee stout and the Amaretto flavor was noticeable, but not overpowering. I imagine a pale ale would need less. Amaretto has residual sugar that will ferment out, so it isn't something you can add at bottling time. Same goes for Orgeat, but that has even more sugar.

Another option is Almond extract commonly used in baking which is also made from bitter almonds. You could add it to your bottling bucket until you get the amount of flavor you want. I haven't tried that, but you wouldn't need much of it. You could add it in 1/2 teaspoon increments. I doubt you would need more than a couple teaspoons.

If you want to try regular almonds, go for it. I've never used them. I've tried a few commercial beers that use almonds and none of them had a noticeable almond flavor.

If you're smelling almonds in mash, you're really going to smell them in the boil, then probably not at all because all the aroma has boiled away.

I'd add almond extract when you go to bottle, or add some to the fermenter a couple days before, then at bottling check if you need to add more. Boiling/fermenting almond aromatics with drive them out of your beer.

Back