allagash Victor clone... suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuclearRich

Reaction score
I've scoured to the best of my during-work ability, so forgive me if I'm blind, but I can't seem to find anything about cloning allagash Victor except what I found from the company website with a basic description.

Do any of y'all have some insight? I am getting a red wine barrel (immediately post drain), and I'd really like something good to put in there. It doesn't seem like this beer sees a barrel treatment, but maybe I can do my own thing loosely based on it. 9ish% abv, belgian golden strong or trippel or even something darker, bsda.

Nobody? Bueller? Bueller?

Here is a blurb from allagash:
"The Victor Ale was inspired by its feminine-named predecessor, the Victoria Ale. With chardonnay grapes to make the Victoria Ale unique, our brewers decided to use red grapes for the Victor. Over one hundred pounds of cabernet franc grapes were crushed on site and added directly to the mash. In addition to a generous portion of Pilsner malt, Victor is hopped with Fuggles and Hallertau and fermented with a wine yeast strain. With a focus on the subtle wine-like character of the grapes, the 9.0% ABV brew maintains a copper color, wine yeast influence and a medium body with a tart and spicy finish."

Grapes in the mash, mostly pilsner malt, lightly hopped with noble variety, and WINE YEAST. Interesting.

So maybe not a clone, but heres what I'm thinking:
70% Pilsner Malt
20% red grapes in the mash
5% crystal
5% flaked oats or wheat (figuring that the wine sugars will dry it out, and barrel treatment could lend a more astringent mouthfeel, this could potentially battle body issues)

Fuggles and Hallertau

20-30IBU
9%ABV

Allagash house strain (dregs from allagash white), Primary for 14-21 days at 70F

Secondary in red wine barrel to taste (10gal barrel, thinking 2-4 months)

Any input on oxidation from the barrel? I will brew a little extra, store it, top up as needed.
I also figure that it may have the potential for wild yeast from the wine, but if that happens I'll roll with it. Not going to prevent it with a wash or sulpher treatment, as I would like that super fresh wine character (?) to come into the beer.

Latest posts

Back