All-nugget pilsner recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbippers

Reaction score
This will be my second homebrew batch. I have all-nugget IPA going on a week in the primary right now and already can't wait to get the second started. I've been growing my own hops for a couple years and get crazy yields off of my nugget plants (3 second year plants = 7 lbs of dried hops), hence the all-nugget recipe interest. I'm going to call them 11% AA and shoot for the upper end of the IBU's on the style. Anyway I'm putting together a pilsner recipe loosely based on one I found on the internet and am looking for some feedback.

9# Briess Pilsner LME
1oz Nugget 60 min
1oz Nugget 15 min
1oz Nugget 5 min
1 whirlifloc tablet 10 min
Nottingham Yeast

I'm using Beer Smith and as of right now everything looks okay except for the color (est SRM = 3.6). I'm thinking I could steep in some grains before the boil, but don't know enough to figure out what will give me a dark enough color while still fitting the flavor profile. I think I'd like to wind up in the 12-16 SRM range. Thanks!

Pilsners are more than just beers with pilsner malt, they are always fermented with lager yeast. 9 lbs of extract will also get you a much stronger beer than a pilsner, if you care. Odds are it will be darker than BeerSmith predicts anyway, it is tough to get a really pale beer with extract. If you want it darker you could steep a crystal or roasted malt (depending on what flavors you want to add), but that would take it even further away from being a pilsner.

I don’t have a lot of experience with Nugget hops, how about something Belgian?

Hope that helps, good luck (and welcome to the site).

Thanks for the info, it didn't occur to me that pilsners were part of the lager family. At this point I'm not setup to do cold fermentation so that's pretty much out of the question. Not a personal fan of Belgian yeast so I'll probably continue to dabble in the IPA spectrum. I'm not a style purist, at this point I'm just looking for something tasty.

Perhaps up your late additions of nugget and you will have a great single hop IPA. Nugget has a nice "dank" flavor. Do you have any means of calculating your OG and IBUs? Try to match OG:IBU as 1:1. For example: 1.060 OG and 60 ibus.

Latest posts

Back