All grain setup, downsized?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WonkUnit

Reaction score
Hey guys, i've been doing some extract kit brewing but i'd like to get into all grain. i'd like to experiment alot on a small scale, so my thought was i'd build an all grain setup using 2 gallon water jugs instead of the traditional 5 or 10 gallon jugs. This way i can pump out small batches of stuff without ruining a whole 5 gallons of beer. the system will be smaller too, and easier to handle in an apartment. Has anyone tried this before, or can you see any problems with this? Thanks!

I do 1-gallons almost exclusively right now...its a pain in some ways but i can experiment way more than the 5+ gallon people. Its really nice for testing out yeasts or hops...do a 2-gallon boil then put them into 2 1-gallon jugs. You get an immediate side-by-side comparison of your two ingredients you were trying to isolate.

You can even get into blending...

There was a good article about small-batch breweries (some in apartments) in Brew Your Own a while back. Here is the link. Lots of good information there.

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Techniques - Small Scale Brewing

I know Revvy does some small scale stuff using I believe a 1-2 gallon cooler. Hopefully he'll chime in with some pics of his stuff. I've been planning to do the same. It's a great way to perfect your recipe/process before going bigger.

I started out brewing 3 gallon all grain batches. It's the same amount of work, but the beer runs out much faster. Now I do 10 gallons and can split them up in 3 gallon carboys to try different yeast strains.

I started out brewing 3 gallon all grain batches. It's the same amount of work, but the beer runs out much faster. Now I do 10 gallons and can split them up in 3 gallon carboys to try different yeast strains.

This. I got my start brewing from Brooklyn Brewshop's 1 gallon AG kits. Fun for sure, but nearly the exact same amount of time whether you brew a gallon or 20, so I personally think the best way to go if you're looking to experiment would be to do what mux suggested. You could even do partigyle process to alter gravity or hop usage.

If you can get your hands on the latest Zymurgy magazine, there's an awesome article about urban all-grain brewing using the Brew In a Bag method.

Also check out the sticky on BIAB in the All Grain forums. Seven made an awesome post that has convinced to go all-grain using that method.

sheeshomatic said:
This. I got my start brewing from Brooklyn Brewshop's 1 gallon AG kits. Fun for sure, but nearly the exact same amount of time whether you brew a gallon or 20, so I personally think the best way to go if you're looking to experiment would be to do what mux suggested. You could even do partigyle process to alter gravity or hop usage.

I like the partygyle idea, then you can have different hop schedules.

I have now done 2 AG BIAB batches on a 2.75 gallon scale. I hit >70% efficiency on my last brew--EW Robust Porter. For me, the positives are:
  • I can do it on the stove (gas included in rent).
  • More variety, because I don't drink too much.
  • Less need for starters since you're effectively double pitching (unless you go really big).
  • Less space taken up by equipment (until I get a mill and buy bulk grain).

For me, a case is a decent amount. We'll see if I can keep the pipeline full with these batches now that school has started again.

Make sure to check out DeathBrewers awesome thread on stovetop all grain brewing. Based on your equipment you can go as big or as small as you'd like.

I agree it's close to the same amount of work, but it's a lot less time to do a small batch. A good portion of a brew day is waiting for stuff to heat up (strike/sparge water, bringing to a boil). The difference in time between 1/5/10 gallons is considerable.

And there is also the cost of it all. A small cooler and 2 gallon pot is less cost to get started (you probably already have these) than a 10 gallon cooler and a 7 or 15 gallon pot.

Small batch AG is a great way to get some practice batches in before jumping in head first.

I'm planning on doing this myself with 3 gallon batches. The local General Store has had shipments of carboys, 3 gallon for $22, so i've picked up a few of those and a 5 gallon cooler. Got the fancy parts on the way for the cooler conversion and should be set!

I've been using BrewTarget to enter recipes then scale them down to 3 gallons. It's been fun, but now I just have to see how well they turn out :) I hope to make my first AG within a few weeks! Good luck to you! :mug:

Kosch

KCBrewer said:
I agree it's close to the same amount of work, but it's a lot less time to do a small batch. A good portion of a brew day is waiting for stuff to heat up (strike/sparge water, bringing to a boil). The difference in time between 1/5/10 gallons is considerable.

And there is also the cost of it all. A small cooler and 2 gallon pot is less cost to get started (you probably already have these) than a 10 gallon cooler and a 7 or 15 gallon pot.

Small batch AG is a great way to get some practice batches in before jumping in head first.

Hmmm. I like the idea of small batches for cheaper experimentation or if you just don't go through much beer - but my 5 gallon batches take the same amount of time (maybe less) than my 1 or 2 did. My propane burner can take a freshly sparged batch to boiling in less than 10 minutes. Strike water is about the same and my sparge water heats while my mash is resting. My kitchen stove is nowhere near as powerful even downsized. Getting almost 3 gallons to boil seemed to take forever.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone and everyone's eq and process is different - just relating my experience.

I think the whole "same amount of work" naysayer notion is Bull****. When is homebrewing ever "WORK?"

It's a HOBBY, for christsakes, the act of brewing gives me pleasure. So whether I'm doing a 1 gallon batch, a 2.5 gallon test batch of a recipe/or experimental brew, a 5 gallon batch or a 25 gallon batch with a buddy for his wedding, I'm having fun.

If it were work, I wouldn't be ****ing doing it at all. So why the hell the size of the batch matter if the time spent doing it is pleasurable?

There's a ton of small batch brewers on here. So much so that every now and then they demand a subsection of the forum just for themselves. Don't let the naysayers discourage you.

It's funny, no one bats an eye when someone says they're making a gallon of JAOM or any Mead, or using their mr beer fermenter for apfwelwien, or making a gallon of wine, but if any brewer decides he wants to do small batch brewing, bunch of folks come out of the woodwork talking about how small batch brewing is too much work for the payoff.

Who are the naysayers, the op asked for input( anyone see any problems with this), we answered the question. I brew small 3 gallon batches, and say that for the same amount of time you get less product. Not something to get upset about.

I think the whole "same amount of work" naysayer notion is Bull****. When is homebrewing ever "WORK?"

It's a HOBBY, for christsakes, the act of brewing gives me pleasure. So whether I'm doing a 1 gallon batch, a 2.5 gallon test batch of a recipe/or experimental brew, a 5 gallon batch or a 25 gallon batch with a buddy for his wedding, I'm having fun.

If it were work, I wouldn't be ****ing doing it at all. So why the hell the size of the batch matter if the time spent doing it is pleasurable?

There's a ton of small batch brewers on here. So much so that every now and then they demand a subsection of the forum just for themselves. Don't let the naysayers discourage you.

It's funny, no one bats an eye when someone says they're making a gallon of JAOM or any Mead, or using their mr beer fermenter for apfwelwien, or making a gallon of wine, but if any brewer decides he wants to do small batch brewing, bunch of folks come out of the woodwork talking about how small batch brewing is too much work for the payoff.

+1 on the brewing is work part, brewing is never work. I currently do 10 gal batches but have been looking and setting up a 1-2 gal system to do much more exotic experiments! to prevent my self from having to wade through 10 gals of a poor result.

Thanks For all the responses guys! I'll try putting together a small setup for now but I do plan to go to 5 or 10 gallon setup when I get more comfortable with the process and find recipes I like.

I'm a Brooklyn Brew shop brewer as well. I just started a couple months ago and now have around 5 1 gallon batches under my belt. I went and bought 2 extra 1 gal cider jugs to use as carboys. I also built a 5 gal watercooler MLT which has saved me a lot of work. I do agree that 5 or 10 gals would be the way to go but for me just getting started and learning the ins & outs of all grain brewing I'm glad I went with BBS and their 1 gallon kit to get me started. And all the help on this site has been tremendous. Check out their book for some cool recipes.

Brooklyn Brew Shop

Amazon.com: Brooklyn Brew Shop's Beer Making Book: 52 Seasonal Recipes for Small Batches (9780307889201): Erica Shea, Stephen Valand, Jennifer Fiedler: Books

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been brewing for aboot 3 years and have a 36 quart mash tun and a 7.5 gallon brew kettle--this can produce 5 gallon batches. I really wish I had invested in 10 gallon setup from the get go--so no I couldn't recommend buying the equipment for a 1, 2, or 3 gallon setup. You can make 2 gallon batches with 5 gallon equipment, why not buy that equipment from the start?

All good points but for me I like what I'm doing with my 1 gal kits now. One day I will move up and I'm not heavily invested in equipment. 1 gal carboys are cheap and I have the right pots to use for these batches.

I do 1 gallon all grain batches in a 2 gallon cooler all the time, and I'm loving it. Its easy to get everything set up in the kitchen and it gets me some time in the house hanging out at the kitchen table. The only issue I have with it is that that beer goes too fast :ban:

I have a keggle set up in the garage, but I don't find myself using it too much. The smaller batches mean I get to brew about twice a week inside, while playing board games and stuff with the fam. Its a good thing.

Latest posts

Back