All grain set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joon75

Reaction score
I have two 13 gallon kegs and one 15.5 keg. I want to build a all grain system. How should I do my set up? What should I use the 15 gallon keg for HLT, Mash, or Boil keg? Do I need to put sight glasses and thermometers in all kegs? Thanks!

You dont need them in all kegs, probably just slight glass in HLT and BK, and thermometer in MT and HLT. I would use the bigger keg as the mash tun but that is just my opinion

I'd use the 15 gallon for the boil kettle so you can do 10 gallon batches if you prefer. I'd put a valve on all of them with camlock fittings, and thermometers on the HLT and Mash Tun. Sight glass on the HLT as well. Not needed on the BK because the liquid in the tube boils as well and you can't get an accurate read in my experience.

I'd use the 15 gallon for the boil kettle so you can do 10 gallon batches if you prefer. I'd put a valve on all of them with camlock fittings, and thermometers on the HLT and Mash Tun. Sight glass on the HLT as well. Not needed on the BK because the liquid in the tube boils as well and you can't get an accurate read in my experience.

For 10 gal batch the 15 gal Keg is best especially if the recipe had a big grain bill.

If put a sight glass and thermometer on the hlt, thermometer on the mlt, and a sight glass on the bk. i don't have a sight glass on my bk but sometimes i wish i do.

I measure into my HLT so all I use is a valve on it. Sight glass on my BK works great and I'm glad I have it. I use digital temp sensors so I don't use thermos on anything.

I'd definitely use the largest vessel for the BK. I have a sight glass on the HLT but find it unnecessary and in restrospect wouldn't have gotten it. I do love the sight glass on the BK so I know when to stop sparging. I've got thermometers on all three.

Thank you for all the responses! What about a false bottom? Mash tun only?

Back