All-Grain Moon Man Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongoose33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've searched; didn't find anything all that helpful.

So my son comes home for Thanksgiving, has a growler of a Pale Ale he brewed. I try it; no off flavors, he's done it well. I'm sipping and sipping and.....it occurs to me that it's really similar to Moon Man by New Glarus, really similar. As in just as good, maybe better. Yeah, better.

He gained my highest recommendation; I had a second one, and then helped finish off the growler.

Here's the kicker: he used Kviek yeast to brew it, fermented in the 90s. Unfortunately, his recipe is at home, on his desktop computer, so we can't exactly reproduce it on my system.

Anyone have a close approximation of Moon Man? He's home until Saturday or Sunday, we could brew......

I've never had Moon Man.

There is a full thread dedicated to this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/new-glarus-moon-man-clone-help.193381/

Good luck!

Thanks; that was the only major thread I'd run across, but sadly, it's not a defined recipe. There are a lot of "what if this would work" ideas in it, but nobody came out and said they'd nailed it.

And the last part had people using Mosaic, which is a hop I absolutely detest. If Moon Man had Mosaic in it, I wouldn't like it the way I do.

So I'm still searching.

My son brought home some of the yeast he'd harvested. His pitching method? Warm it up to room temp, swirl it around to incorporate the yeast, then scoop out a teaspoon and pitch it. No starter, no anything other than oxygenating. Kweik yeast is a beast.

I read through that thread again after posting that. There are definitely a lot of people guessing at what would work best.

I have some some Kveik yeast here. I have yet to use it. A teaspoon in a 5 gallon batch doesn't seem to be enough. But if it works, go for it!

Back