All Centennial Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewkyBrown

Reaction score
I have a ton of centennial in the freezer and would like to make an easy pale ale.
Would I be ok using all centennial or should I throw some cascades in for good measure?

My recipe looks like this,

8lb pale ale malt
1lb Munich
8oz C40
8oz Carapils

Centennial hops at

0.5 oz @ 60
0.5oz @ 30
1oz @ 15
1oz @ 5
1oz dry hop

1056 yeast (2litre starter)

Does this sound any good?
Thanks.

This would be great. No need for cascade. There are a ton of all Centennial commercial brews out there including Bell's Two Hearted Ale. They all taste delicious to me.

Looks simple and delicious to me. I'd say add Cascade if you want, but if you don't have any, just go with the Centennial.

Dont waste your hops on a 30 min addition. move that to flame out and add a couple more ounces at the end it will shine through much better.

AnOldUR said:
For having a "ton", you're sure not showing it.

More hops!

:mug:

Ha! I guess. I've just made an ipa with 10oz of various hops so I wanted this batch to be a bit more easy going. Sod it though, ill add more!

Ha! I guess. I've just made an ipa with 10oz of various hops so I wanted this batch to be a bit more easy going. Sod it though, ill add more!

Well, you can do something like a Bell's Two-Hearted Clone, an all-centennial IPA, or a Founder's all centennial IPA. Those are great.

But if you wanted to do a pale ale, you could do something like a Sierra Nevada type of pale ale, but use all centennials in the hopping. What I'm thinking isn't much different than what you have. Maybe a wee bit more crystal, and more hops, for a really nice balance. I like about 8-9% crystal malt like crystal 40L in a beer like that. I'd probably leave out the carapils, as I'd rather use the crystal 40L, and you should have great foam and head retention with the hops and the crystal.

Say, something like this:
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 90.9 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 6 9.1 %
1 oz centennial (FWH) 60 minutes or to about 20 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial Boil 15.0 min 8.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial Boil 0.0 min
1 oz centennial dryhop

I have an all Centennial pale on tap now. I did almost exactly what Yooper just came up with, but I added some honey malt to use it up. It was a 9 gallon batch that I split. One got Centennial and the other got Falconers Flight. They are both very tasty.

Thanks all for the tips. Yooper, I will try your recipe I think. I am waiting for some golden naked oats so I can brew your amber ale. A Sierra clone could work well in the mean time!
Cheers.

I have a ton of centennial in the freezer and would like to make an easy pale ale.
Would I be ok using all centennial or should I throw some cascades in for good measure?

My recipe looks like this,

8lb pale ale malt
1lb Munich
8oz C40
8oz Carapils

Centennial hops at

0.5 oz @ 60
0.5oz @ 30
1oz @ 15
1oz @ 5
1oz dry hop

1056 yeast (2litre starter)

Does this sound any good?
Thanks.
Sounds good, but the beer you're talking about is like 50 IBU and has 3 oz. of late hops.

That's pretty much just an IPA as it is. If you're looking for something more Sierra Nevada, you probably need to tone the hops down, not up. But I have noticed that anything under 6.5% is considered APA these days so maybe that's what you're looking for.

mooshimanx said:
Sounds good, but the beer you're talking about is like 50 IBU and has 3 oz. of late hops.

That's pretty much just an IPA as it is. If you're looking for something more Sierra Nevada, you probably need to tone the hops down, not up. But I have noticed that anything under 6.5% is considered APA these days so maybe that's what you're looking for.

Thanks. Ill tweak it down a little as I already have a 7.5% ipa fermenting now. Would prefer something more sessionable!

Back