Ale that tastes good at room temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrausenCrazedCanuck

Reaction score
As a side hobby (besides brewing) I spend my summer weekends as an 1812 reenactor
It's hard to keep a steady supply of ice for a cooler and I was wondering if anybody has a recipe that would taste good at high teens Celsius or low 70's (for you Yankees)
My hop tolerance is around 64 ibu's
Throw your best ideas at me!
Thanks

On the occasions that I do drink a Stout (not very often) I prefer them at or near room temp.

Darker ales in general are usually pretty good close to room temperature (stouts, brown ales, and so on).

Some belgians might fly.
RIS, definitely nice once it's acclimated.

Some talk of Alexander and some of Hercules....

If you decide go for English ales you could also 'reenact' the beer and an authentic period recipe to brew too

Think swamp cooler. Wrap your bottles in a wet cloth and set them in the shade and let evaporation cool them. That's how the old timers did it with their water jugs when they were out in the fields.

Yeti makes a great cooler that holds ice for days!

RTIC makes a great knock off of Yeti which is about half the price, although shipping can take a while.

Also, polar bear soft coolers are very nice. They usually do a 2 for 1 sale in the fall for Christmas shopping, which is a great deal.

English or Dark yes. But I also looooove saison at room/temp. Gravity samples always go down quick. Also Hydroflask waterbottles/growlers are the greatest invention ever. Worth the investment and then you can drink it cold! I bought a 64 oz growler a year ago, now I have a 20 and 36 oz one for coffee and water at work. Ice is still in it when I get home.

Can you dig a deep-ish hole to get to cooler underground temps, or store them (or pretend you stored them) in a cellar until you drink them?

Lots of good beers (and Cider!) at 54F cellar temps.

There's a reason "root" cellars were so popular back then, and it wasn't "roots"...

A dark english Mild is what you need for light drinkers and Stouts for the hardcore guys.:mug:

Can you dig a deep-ish hole to get to cooler underground temps, or store them (or pretend you stored them) in a cellar until you drink them?

Lots of good beers (and Cider!) at 54F cellar temps.

There's a reason "root" cellars were so popular back then, and it wasn't "roots"...

I have about 50 square feet in my small tent to keep a couple 24's and my other equipment. I would prefer to not to spoon a cooler all night lol

Back