Ale Fermentation Temp Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkerama

Reaction score
I'm about to brew my 2nd batch of beer tomorrow. Ahead of that, I'm bringing the yeast up to temperature and want to find the perfect spot in my house to ferment it, temperature-wise.

This time of year I keep my house at about 69 degrees. It's a huge house and takes a lot of energy to keep it at 69 when it's cold. Cranking it up much would cost a lot for my bill ($5/day).

I'm brewing a "Budweiser American Ale" kit and I'm using a White Labs Liquid California Ale Yeast (WLP-001).

Question is, is 68-69 degrees suitable for this type of beer/yeast or will I need to fashion some sort of heating using a tent/blanket & light?

Thanks!

I like to ferment that yeast at around 65 (beer temp, not ambient). Usually I pitch it at 63 and let it come up to 65 until it slows down, then I bring it up to 68 to finish.

Honestly, 69 might be on the high side. For me, mid 60s works best. So, if you can find a 'chilly' corner, I'd go with that.

Back