Alcoholic Warmth, How?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanzerBanana

Reaction score
So I finally have a beer named for something I wanted to do for a while now. I'm looking for ideas on how to get a noticeable, yet pleasant, alcoholic warmth in a brew.

I've been looking around on line and it seems, I've got some Belgian beers to try out. I can't remember the name of it but I had one French beer that had a very definite alcohol character. It was a "lighter" beer but is 13% ABV. It's quite good, and I was thinking they probably added more sugar.

I don't like having to dump in a lot of sugar just to up ABV. However, for my concept the warmth is needed. I know most beers try to avoid that, but I want the beer to be an experience and that's a part of it.

I've had some pretty beefy barley wines that without that much alcohol character, so it's a matter of finding what can put it in the beer.

So whatever fermentables or other things would be great. I won't be trying to make that French brew so other ingredients are fine as long as they can let the alcohol come through.

For higher alcohol beers that are made right, there is really nothing wrong with adding sugar. Some advocate the use of sugar in Triple IPAs to dry them out a little. The problem with all malt beers above about 8% or 9% is that they will get very sweet.

I brewed a 13% Belgian Golden Strong ( look up the 10.10.10 Devil May Cry brew) that had about 3lbs of sugar added incrementally in 1lb additions to up the ABV. In this case, we were going for a high ABV monster beer, not just some crunk juice.

Did the warmth of the alcohol come through though? I've most got every other part in line.

For this one I don't have an issue with adding the sugar, as long as that warmth comes through. And helping take some of the force out of the sweet will be good. I thought about honey, but I know a lot of the character and aftertaste will come through even though it's fermented most of the way.

Latest posts

Back