Albany Area Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worked in Albany for 5 years, not far from Wolf Rd on Winners Circle. Wasn't a home brewer at the time though.

Wow, really? We've been here since 2004, so they must have been gone by then. The brewery is still there, though: Brown's Brewpub. Fantastic food, right on the river, decent beer with a couple of standouts.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

This would've been before that, maybe 15 years ago? I don't think they were called Brown's brewing then, maybe Troy brewing or something like that. Love their stout btw :mug:.

Hey, you know if there is a brew club that meets there first Tuesday of the month? Some guy at work was talking about this club and it sounded kinda interesting, but it's been maybe 4 years now without hearing anything more about it.

This would've been before that, maybe 15 years ago? I don't think they were called Brown's brewing then, maybe Troy brewing or something like that. Love their stout btw :mug:.

Hey, you know if there is a brew club that meets there first Tuesday of the month? Some guy at work was talking about this club and it sounded kinda interesting, but it's been maybe 4 years now without hearing anything more about it.

are these the people you are thinking of ?

http://www.albanybrewcrafters.com

S_M

If anyone is looking for hops this winter, we have Vojvodina, Chinook, Tettananger, and Glacier. They were hand picked, vacuum sealed and frozen in 1oz packages. We are in the Argyle/Greenwich area but will attempt to deliver...

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Opened 1993 as Brown and Morans Brewing Co., in 94 it changed to the Troy Brewing Co. and later became Brown's. They do make a fantastic stout. :mug:

From the Schenectady area myself.

Hi all. I'm new to brewing. So far extract only. I really dig it. Trying to go slow. I'm growing at a decent clip. Brewing my next batch in a few days. Cheers

Welcome to the hobby, what kind of stuff you been brewing? I'm guessing you've visited the Zymurgist up there? Some good breweries by you and I really like the Hops & Barley Market at Queensbury Plaza. Cheers bud.

I've been pretty busy, I've brewed a tripel, dubbel, black IPA, Hefeweizen, summer ale, English strong ale, and an Amber ale. I have a bunch on deck. Reid from the zymurgist is my beer Yoda. Hops and barley is good stuff, chip always has great selection

This Thursday, the 15th, is our monthly brew day for our club, AND I remembered to post about it BEFORE it happened :) Anyone is welcome, and we'll be brewing a pilsner. There is room for other brewers so if you want to set up just Let me know here. The location is 15 Margaret St, Hudson Falls. we usually get a few pizzas and I have 2 taps going all he time so check us out! I get out of work @ 3 and usually have my strike water heating by 4 so anytime after that is good to show up. I try to wrap it up by 10 (cleaned and put away) so if you want to do an all grain batch, try to get there as early as you can.

I have a 24'x24' garage/woodshop. its pretty handy. It's a ***** to keep clean, between the colossal amount of dust i make, and the sticky wet of brewday, but I think i do alright. I have a benchtop that was a scratch and dent from work made from PL. It is 42"x80" and about 34" off the floor. Pretty nice for free. I bet 3 people could set up up on it, and there is still room for burners. If the weather is nice, I might set up outside on the sawhorses. We'll see...

Its good to see some exotic stuff coming out of the gate and not just another pale, ipa, pilsener, porter ..etc offerings.
Their scale-up program sounds neat as well.

Rare form sounds great, I may have to make the trip south to explore. The idea of scale up is really cool. Let's see what the little guy can do

Hey, Capital Region Brewers!

The Sunshine Fair homebrew competition is back! You can download the rules and recipe sheet here http://www.sunshinefair.org/book.htm. Look under "Home Brew"

Entries will be received from 10 a.m.-5 p.m Friday, July 25
through Friday August 1 at the Fair Concession office.

Exhibitors entering during the fair (after July 25) will be required to pay the fair general admission fee in order to enter. Entries will be judged at 6 p.m. Friday, August 1 at the Top of the Stretch Tent.

All entries shall meet the following requirements:

1. This department is open to exhibitors 21 years of age or
older.

2. Each entry shall be submitted in a clean, sealed container with label. Label shall include the name of the exhibitor and correct class of competition. All beer class entries should submit 3 bottles of brew; wine and spirits shall submit one bottle of at least 20 oz. minimum.

3. Exhibitors must submit a recipe sheet

4. Competition is open to all non-commercially licensed home brewers and farm licensed producers.

5. Paid Entry Fee = $10 per class for the first entry and $5 for each additional entry.

Prizes: No cash prizes will be provided for this division.

Entries will be scored based on the entered class, and prizes will be determined based on the total number of entries for this department. Each entry will receive a prize for submission, with the section winners and Best of Show receiving larger prizes.

Judging for the following classes will be based on the score breakdown as listed below. Only non-commercial products will be judged:
Classes

Section 1 -- Beers
1. Hoppy
2. Malty
3. Fruity
4. Lager
5. Other
Section 2 – Wines and Ciders
6. Red Wine
7. White Wine
8. Dessert/Ice Wines
9. Ciders

If you've got a question, feel free to send me a PM. Looking forward to a great contest!

I'm always looking for ways to keep the price of ingredients low. I buy bulk malt extract, hops by the pound (usually at Niko or Farmhouse), and my favorite dry yeast in lots of 20 pkgs to get a 15% discount (Safale US-05 $2.54).

Now that I have switched to All Grain for 5 gallon batches of beer and Partial Mash for larger batches (constrained by mash tun size) I have started going through a lot of 2 row malt and buying it by the sack. Saratoga Zymurgist seems to be the best buy I can find locally with a 55 lb sack of Canadian 2 Row for $55. Homebrew Emporium gets $59 for a 50 lb sack of Breiss with a 2x year group buy putting it at $45. I see it online for around $35-40 for 50 lbs but shipping makes it more expensive than what I pay locally.

Anyone know of any places where I might be able to do a little better or perhaps a group buy? I am willing to get 5-8 bags at a time.

Also interested in splitting bags of crystal and specialty malts.

I'm always looking for ways to keep the price of ingredients low. I buy bulk malt extract, hops by the pound (usually at Niko or Farmhouse), and my favorite dry yeast in lots of 20 pkgs to get a 15% discount (Safale US-05 $2.54).

Now that I have switched to All Grain for 5 gallon batches of beer and Partial Mash for larger batches (constrained by mash tun size) I have started going through a lot of 2 row malt and buying it by the sack. Saratoga Zymurgist seems to be the best buy I can find locally with a 55 lb sack of Canadian 2 Row for $55. Homebrew Emporium gets $59 for a 50 lb sack of Breiss with a 2x year group buy putting it at $45. I see it online for around $35-40 for 50 lbs but shipping makes it more expensive than what I pay locally.

Anyone know of any places where I might be able to do a little better or perhaps a group buy? I am willing to get 5-8 bags at a time.

Also interested in splitting bags of crystal and specialty malts.

here is good group buy

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/mid-hudson-valleyy-ct-round-7-a-460282/

I picked up 9 bags of base malt for about 37 dollars a 50# bag

the pick up was wappingers falls

all the best

S_M

I bought 10 bags from Saratoga Zymurgist last year and got a good deal, plus it helps support local business. I could use about 5 sacks atm.

I bought 10 bags from Saratoga Zymurgist last year and got a good deal, plus it helps support local business. I could use about 5 sacks atm.

I do most of my business with them other than hops and yeast. Reed's prices are very fair for a LHBS. Homebrew Emporium does periodic group buys. Wonder if Reed would be up for something like that.

I live in a really remote place and like to keep plenty of supplies on hand. Buying one sack of 2 row at a time just doesn't sit right with me.

I was able to set up the buy through their web page without even visiting. I had to wait until they put their order through though (seems like at least a couple months between grain orders). I don't think they charged shipping so it was almost comparable to group buys I've done.

Homebrew Emporium has a pretty limited list of grains on group buys (base grains only) and something like %10 off retail on specialties. Reed smoked that deal.

I was able to set up the buy through their web page without even visiting. I had to wait until they put their order through though (seems like at least a couple months between grain orders). I don't think they charged shipping so it was almost comparable to group buys I've done.

Homebrew Emporium has a pretty limited list of grains on group buys (base grains only) and something like %10 off retail on specialties. Reed smoked that deal.

May I ask how you set it up through the website? I live in Troy and would also like to get some bulk grain.

Another idea would be to visit your local breweries and ask about piggybacking onto their grain order. If you organize a group buy yourself, sometimes this can help push their grain prices lower if you can get a big enough order.

Another idea would be to visit your local breweries and ask about piggybacking onto their grain order. If you organize a group buy yourself, sometimes this can help push their grain prices lower if you can get a big enough order.

I would be willing to do this if people are interested.

order grain ? do you have a shop?

I would buy some sacks of grain

all the best

S_M

Yes, I'm opening a Brewery/Taproom in Glens Falls and have an account with Country Malt Group. I would have no problem ordering bags for people to fill out our pallets or placing an order for a group buy (someone else would have to organize it though)

Wow that is really nice of you. I could use 5 sacks at any point over the next 6 months.

Yes, I'm opening a Brewery/Taproom in Glens Falls and have an account with Country Malt Group. I would have no problem ordering bags for people to fill out our pallets or placing an order for a group buy (someone else would have to organize it though)

nice and thanks I buy around 10 or 12 bags at a time

all the best

S_M

Hey All.
I am new to the brewing community and to HBT. I am located in Schenectady.

Short notice but I'm placing an order tomorrow morning for delivery by the end of the week. I have about a half a pallet open for extras, whole bags only. Email me for pricing.

[email protected]

Also our taproom is now open in Glens Falls, check out our website for details www.meanmaxbrew.com

Hi , I am in Saratoga Springs but have only very recently found home brewing (small batches - 1 gallon - I don't have the heating for 5 gallon batches). Mainly make wines and meads and ciders.

Back