Airlock on youngs fermentation bucket for mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timeforaquickone

Reaction score
Hi guys sorry if this question's been asked before, I can't find an answer anywhere online!

I've recently been given a nice big 25 litre Youngs fermentation bucket (which comes without any airlock, hole or bung) by a friend who no longer has any need for it and am thinking to do a batch of mead. What I'm not sure about is whether to drill a hole and put an airlock on top or not. I know that for brewing beer most people seem to think that the steady flow of CO2 out of the bucket will stop any oxygen from getting in, meaning the airlock is unneccessary, but I can't find any advice for this regarding mead

Does anyone know if the same would be true for a batch of mead? or is there a difference in the brewing processes that would make an airlock more necessary?

Thanks!

Hi guys sorry if this question's been asked before, I can't find an answer anywhere online!

I've recently been given a nice big 25 litre Youngs fermentation bucket (which comes without any airlock, hole or bung) by a friend who no longer has any need for it and am thinking to do a batch of mead. What I'm not sure about is whether to drill a hole and put an airlock on top or not. I know that for brewing beer most people seem to think that the steady flow of CO2 out of the bucket will stop any oxygen from getting in, meaning the airlock is unneccessary, but I can't find any advice for this regarding mead

Does anyone know if the same would be true for a batch of mead? or is there a difference in the brewing processes that would make an airlock more necessary?

Thanks!

I wouldn't be worried. I regularly use buckets with loosely fitting lids for primary fermentation and then age/condition in carboys. Oxidation isn't an issue in any of my meads.

Latest posts

Back