Airlock fluids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikfire

Reaction score
I thought I read a thread on this earlier, but cannot find it now.

I use a standard ale pale with a two-piece bubble airlock on top. I have read a few different comments on these august pages suggestion I should fill this bubble lock with vodka or other sterilized solutions. So far (four batches) I have used plain, ordinary tap water -- not boiled, no starsan, no cheap vodka, etc. So far, I have not noticed it causing any problems.

I am also not foolish enough to confuse luck with good practice :)

Should I get worried about using at least distilled water (or vodka or ... ) in the bubble lock?

Thanks,
Mik

It's a good practice to keep solution in your airlock that will not hurt your brew should it get sucked back by movement or temperature changes. The problem with plain water is that after it sits awhile nasties can begin to grow.

I use Star San solution because I always have it handy when I'm brewing. Keeps my bubbler happy and nasty free. The nice side effect is that it blows bubbles out the little holes in the top during heavy fermentation.

I used to use plain old tap water too and never had an issue with it. but after reading up on it i switched to vodka. hasn't made a difference but it eases your mind. it kind of takes that worry out of you.

Every time I brew a batch I fill up my little mister bottle (with starsan), then when I brew I simply tip some of the starsan into the airlock.

One of the little lessons I have learn is to have a bucket handy for both detergent and starsan, it always comes in handy if you keep from throwing these away until your brew is fermenting.

I use whatever I have handy, mostly tequila, vodka or rum. Everything works just fine. Have used water before and didn't have a problem either. I do not use sanitizer because the last thing I want is some of that stuff in my beer

The local brew shop recommended that I mix a pinch of sodium metabisulphate with tap water for the airlock. Is that a good advice? I'm considering using vodka, but it's a little more expensive in Canada than in the U.S. I haven't priced it in a while, but I think a 26er of the cheap stuff costs about $20.

Another vodka user here. Anything that keeps the nasties out should work though. Considering the cost of vodka that you mentioned, I would go with starsan. I will quate what I have read here often - "Don't fear the foam".

Back