air wrench powered grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackJaqueJanaviac

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has tried running their corona mill with an air wrench. I burnt out a cheap 1/2 inch hammer drill and am wondering what to go for next. I notice the plain ol' 1/2 inch drills (sans hammer) have a slower rpm speed. Would those provide more torque?

On the other hand an air wrench is even slower and might be more forgiving if I max it out.

Yes the slower would probably have more torque, but it sounds like it would be a noisy setup to me, ( drill motor), and the compressor running as well.

The downside is that you'd be forever tethered to an air compressor. If you do any kind of home improvements at all, consider getting a Dewalt XRP series cordless drill with 1/2" chuck. You can positively lock it into low speed/high torque mode because it's done via gearing rather than proportional trigger. They also rock for drilling stainless for the same reason. I haven't seen a corded drill with gear-driven speed settings.

The downside is that you'd be forever tethered to an air compressor. If you do any kind of home improvements at all, consider getting a Dewalt XRP series cordless drill with 1/2" chuck. You can positively lock it into low speed/high torque mode because it's done via gearing rather than proportional trigger. They also rock for drilling stainless for the same reason. I haven't seen a corded drill with gear-driven speed settings.

+1 on the Dewalt XRP. I have an 18 volt and it works great on my Barley Crusher.

I just got a larger corded dewalt off of kijiji for 20, works great!

Perhaps I mislead by calling it an air wrench which most people imagine the guys at the tire shop using to torque lug nuts with. I think the more accurate term would be air "ratchet". It looks more like a ratchet wrench than a drill.

If th only drawback is the noise of the compressor and being tethered to the compressor it's a no-brainer. Air ratchets are about 1/2 the price of a heavy duty 1/2 inch drill.

I would think an air wrench would be inclined to stall a lot. Easy to get going again, just turn the wrench.

Hmmm . . . . . . . I may need to find an adapter of sorts . . . . . :p

'da Kid

I, as a mechanic hate the sound of air ratchets, but that's a personal querk.
I would look at how many CFM's you would need to operate the tool of your choice, a small compressor probably won't cut it.

Probably a reason why folks aren't running this setup.........;)

I wouldn't do it, unless it's all I had, and then I would get something else.......

Mechanic talking here too.

Well the xrp is out of reach.

I burnt out my Skil hammer drill trying to grind grain. I am just worried that I would do the same with a Dewalt and just throw away more money. When I needed a hammer drill to fix the garage it was easy to justify the expense. But I'm not sure I can justify the expense of a half-inch low speed drill for home brewing when I've already got a 3/8 inch Dewalt which suits all my other needs (except running the mill).

Those air ratchets pull some crazy cfm. Also, air power to mechanical power is highly inefficient. The amount of compressor HP to power a continuous duty die grinder is a joke.

Check craigslist and eBay. Or go the HF route. Seems tons of people here do that.

My dewalt 18v li-ion xrp drill has a fubar'd chuck from drilling too many 1" holes through 1/2" and 1" plate steel. Whoops! It is a powerful sucker though. Damn near broke my hand one night with it.

Ok the harbor freight drill sounds good.

Just for comparison: what is the rpm? Bothe Dewalt and Milwaukee make 1/2 inch drills that go up to 850 rpm. Is this harbor freight one even slower?

Back